Susan Sam , MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Nutrition & Wellness Center - Appointment Desk: 312/413-3631
Board certification: Internal Medicine, Endocrinology
Medical School: University of Illinois at Chicago
Residency: Internal Medicine, Northwestern University
Fellowship: Endocrinology, Northwestern University
Reproductive Endocrinology; Polycystic Ovary Syndrome; Male Hypogonadism
Staying up to date (continuing medical education):
American Diabetes Association
UIC - Endocrine Grand Rounds and Medicine Grand Rounds
Research interests: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Obesity
1. Kamradt MC, Chen F, Sam S, Cryns VL. The small heat shock protein alpha B-crystallin negatively regulates apoptosis during myogenic differentiation by inhibiting caspase-3 activation. J Biol Chem 277(41):38731-6, 2002.
2. Sam S, Molitch ME. Timing and special concerns regarding surgery during pregnancy. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 32(2):337-54, 2003.
3. Sam S, Dunaif A. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: syndrome XX. Trends Endocrinol Metab14(8):365-70, 2003.
4. Sam S, Corbridge TC, Mokhlesi B, Comellas AP, Molitch ME. Cortisol levels and mortality in severe sepsis. Clin Endocrinol 60:29-35, 2004.
5. Sam S, Molitch ME. The pituitary mass-diagnosis and management. Rev Endocr Metab Disord 6(1):55-62, 2005.
6. Sam S, Legro RS, Dunaif A. Dyslipidemia and metabolic syndrome in the sisters of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90(8):4797-4802, 2005.
7. Mattsson C, Stanhope RC, Sam S, Young, Jr. WF. Testosterone-Producing Ovarian Tumor Localized with 18F-2-Deoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90 (8): 4797-4802, 2005.
8. Sam S, Legro RS, Dunaif A. Evidence for heritable changes in metabolic and reproductive phenotypes in mothers of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103(18):7030-7035, 2006.
9. Sam S. Obesity and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Obesity Management 3(2): 69-73, 2007.
10. Urbanek M*, Sam S*, Legro R, Dunaif A. Mapping of a PCOS susceptibility locus to the Fibrillin-3 gene on chromosome 19p13.2 and association of the variant with a metabolic phenotype. *Both authors contributed equally. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92(11):4191-4198, 2007.
11. Sam S, Sung Y, Legro RS, Dunaif A. Evidence for pancreatic β-cell dysfunction in brothers of women with PCOS. Metabolism 57(1):84-89, 2008.
12. Sam S, Frohman LA. Normal physiology of hypothalamic pituitary regulation. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 37(1):1-22, 2008.
13. Sam S, Coviello AD, Sung YA, Legro RS, Dunaif A. Metabolic phenotype in the brothers of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Diabetes Care 31:1237-1241, 2008.
14. Sam S, Haffner S, Davidson MH, D'Agostino RB, Feinstein S, Kondos G, Perez A, Mazzone T. Relation of abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue to lipoprotein particle number and size in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 57:2022-2027, 2008.