Elena Barengolts, MD
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Endocrinology Section, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
Director, Endocrinology and Metabolism Fellowship
Business office: 312-996-6060
Nutrition & Wellness Center - Appointment Desk: 312/413-3631
Board certification: Internal Medicine, Endocrinology
Medical school: First Moscow Medical School
Residency: Internal medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital
Fellowship: Endocrinology, University of Illinois
Osteoporosis, Women's Health, Obesity
Vitamin D use for prevntionof chronic disease
Osteoporosis and Artherosclerosis Connection
Alternative Approaches to Menopause - The Scientific Facts
Endocrinology of Aging
Osteoporosis - Focusing on the Screening
Clinical Use of Bone Densitometry
up to date (continuing medical education):
Endocrine Society Meeting
American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Medicine Grand Rounds, University of Illinois
Endocrinology Grand Rounds, University of Illinois
Motto: I share the view of Paracelsus "The most important principle
of Medicine is love."
Research interests: Osteoporosis, Vitamin D, Women's health, Aging
studies and Clinical Trials:
1. Vertebral deformities: Prevalence and risk factors in males.
2. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess safety and tolerability during treatment of type 2 diabetes with usual diabetes therapy and eith Cycloset or Placebo. A multi-center trial. PI at the Jesse Brown VAMC
2. Prevalence and risks of vitamin D deficiency in VA population.
1. B. Sinnott, I. Syed, A. Sevrukov, & E Barengolts. Coronary Calcification and Osteoporosis in Men and Postmenopausal Women are independent processes associated with aging. Calcif Tissue Int 2006 Apr;78:195-202. Epub 2006 Apr
2. B. Sinnott MD, A. Sevrukov MD, S. Kukreja MD & E. Barengolts MD. Utility of Screening Tools for the prediction of low bone mass in African American Men. Osteoporosis International 2006;17(5):684-92. Epub 2006 Mar 8.
3.Barengolts E.I., D. S. Rao, B. S. Berman, S. C. Kukreja. Prevalence and risks of vitamin D insufficiency in African-American male veterans. ASBMR Contemporary Diagnosis and Treatment of Vitamin D-Related Disorders Meeting Arlington, Virginia December 4-5, 2006.
4.N.Akhter, B.Sinnott, D. Rao, S. Kukreja. E. Barengolts.Vitamin D Insufficiency is associated with Lower Hip Bone Density in African American Men. Annual meeting of The Endocrine Society, Toronto June 1-4, 2007.