Professor of Medicine
Interim Section Chief
Board certification: Internal Medicine, Endocrinology
Medical School: New Delhi Medical School, India
Residency: Internal medicine, Cook County Hospital
Fellowship: Endocrinology, University of Illinois
Osteoporosis, Metabolic bone disease
Paget's disease update
Staying up to date (continuing medical education):
Endocrine Society Meeting
American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
Medicine Grand Rounds, University of Illinois
Endocrinology Grand Rounds, University of Illinois
Research interests: PTHrP, Bone tumors, Osteoporosis
1. Role of PTHrP in the pathogenesis of prostate cancer: the effect of exogenous PTHrP and PTHrP transfection on proliferation and apoptosis in prostate cancer cells.
1. Arjmandi BH, Birnbaum R, Goyal NV, Getlinger MJ, Juma S, Alekel L, Hasler CM, Drum ML, Hollis BW, Kukreja SC. Bone-sparing effect of soy protein in ovarian hormone-deficient rats is related to its isoflavone content. Am J Clin Nutr 68:1364S-1368S, 1998
2. Arjmandi BH, Getlinger MJ, Goyal NV, Alekel L, Hasler CM, Juma S, Drum ML, Hollis BW, Kukreja SC. Role of soy protein with normal or reduced isoflavone content in reversing bone loss induced by ovarian hormone deficiency in rats. Am J Clin Nutr:68:1358S-1363S, 1998.
3. Alekel DL,Mortillaro E, Hussain EA,West B, Ahmed N, Peterson CT, Werner RK, Arjmandi BH, Kukreja SC. Lifestyle and biologic contributors to proximal femoral bone mineral density and hip axis length in two distinct ethnic groups of women. Osteoporosis Int. 9:327-338,1999
4. Arjmandi BH, Birnbaum RS, Juma S, Barengolts E, Kukreja SC. The synthetic phytoestrogen, ipriflavone, and estrogen prevent bone loss by different mechanisms.Cacif.Tissue Int. 66:61-65, 2000.