Genetic evaluation can provide information you need to make informed choices, assess risks, and plan for tomorrow. If you or a family member answer yes to any of the following questions we encourage you to schedule an appointment with the FGICU.
1. More than 10 colon polyps in your lifetime?
2. Cancer at an age less than 50?
3. More than one type of cancer diagnosis?
4. A second diagnosis of the same cancer?
Genetic information may benefit you by:
- Determining if you are at risk for cancer
- Creating a personal cancer prevention plan
- For those already diagnosed, determining appropriate treatment plans
- Understanding cancer in your family
- Determining whether other family members are at risk for developing cancer
- Providing piece of mind in cases where cancer is not at great risk
Your genetic counselor will talk with you about different issues so you can make an informed decision about a genetic evaluation.