Nina Clark MD
BS Loyola University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
MD University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Residency Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Fellowship Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Honors and Awards:
1995 Infectious Diseases Society of America Young Investigator Award
2007 Certificate of Excellence in Teaching Award
2009 Certificate of Excellence in Teaching Award
Dr. Clark currently directs the Transplant Infectious Diseases program at UIC and works closely with the solid organ and bone marrow transplantation teams to assist in the management of infectious complications of transplantation. She is also Principal Investigator for the Ryan White CARE Act Part C Early Intervention Services program at UIC that funds comprehensive primary health care for individuals living with HIV disease. She cares for persons with HIV at UIC and maintains an outreach HIV clinic in East Chicago.
Areas of Research
During her research fellowship training, Dr. Clark's work predominantly focused on studying the host factors important for replication of the retroviruses HIV-1, HIV-2 and HTLV. Since being at UIC, her research has been in the area of pathogenesis and treatment of fungal infections, particularly in the transplant population and other high risk groups, such as intensive care unit patients. She has recently participated in several multicenter clinical trials studying the appropriate use of newer antifungal agents and clinical outcomes associated with their use. In addition, she has an ongoing investigator-initiated project studying Candida epidemiology at UIC and is developing several projects that focus on analyzing the host factors that predispose to infectious complications of solid organ and bone marrow transplantation.
- Clark, N. M., Pasternak, A., Braun, D.K., and Chenoweth, C. Primary cutaneous Nocardia otitidiscaviarum infection: Case report and review. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 20:1266-1270, 1995.
- Hedderwick, S.A., Greenson, J.K., McGaughy, V.R., and Clark, N.M. Adenovirus cholecystitis in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 26:997-999, 1998.
- Clark, N.M., Dieng Sarr, A., Sankalé, J.-L., Kanki, P.J., Kazanjian, P., Winfield, R., and Markovitz, D.M. Immunologic and virologic response of HIV-2 infection to antiretroviral therapy. AIDS, 12:2506-2507, 1998
- Clark, N.M. Paecilomyces lilacinus infection in a heart transplant recipient and successful treatment with terbinafine. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 28:1169-70, 1999.
- McNeil, S.A., Clark, N.M., Chandrasekar, P.H., and Kauffman, C.A. Successful treatment of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium bacteremia with linezolid after failure of Synercid (quinupristin/dalfopristin) treatment. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 30:403-4, 2000.
- Clark, N.M., Femino, J.E., and Chenoweth, C.E. Aeromonas infection after medicinal leech therapy: case reports and review. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 10:211-218, 2001.
- Clark, N.M. and Lynch, J.P. Emerging infections in the intensive care unit. Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 24:1-2, 2003.
- Clark, N.M. and Chenoweth, C.E. Aeromonas hepatobiliary infection: report of 15 cases and review of the literature. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 37:506-13, 2003.
- Clark, N.M., Hershberger, E., Zervos, M.J., and Lynch, J.P. Antimicrobial resistance among gram-positive organisms in the intensive care unit. Current Opinion in Critical Care, 9:403-12, 2003.
- Clark, N.M., Patterson, J., and Lynch, J.P. Antimicrobial resistance among gram-negative organisms in the intensive care unit. Current Opinion in Critical Care, 9:413-23, 2003.
- Singal, A., Malani, P.N., Day, L.J., Pagani, F.D., and Clark, N.M. Roseomonas infection associated with a left ventricular assist device: case report and review of the literature. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 24:963-5, 2003.
- Litbarg, N.O. and Clark, N.M. Emerging trends in the approach to polyomavirus nephropathy. Kidney: A Current Survey of World Literature. 13:1-6, 2004.
- Chan, L-N., Massad, M.G., Mahmood, K., Clark, N., Steinhiser, S., Kpodonu, J., Tshibaka, C., and Jaffe, H.A. Severe hemorrhagic cystitis associated with BK polyomavirus infection following lung transplantation. Current Respiratory Medicine Reviews, 1:261-4, 2005.
- Clark, N.M. and Chenoweth, C.E. Streptococcal infections. In APIC Text of Infection Control and Epidemiology. Association for Professionals in Infections Control and Epidemiology 2005, 2nd edition, Washington, DC, pp. 70-1 to 70-13.
- Jain, R., Linares-Diaz, M., Clark, N.M., and Grim, S.A. Limitations of current antiretroviral agents and opportunities for development. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 12:1065-74, 2006.
- Day, L.J., Chenoweth, C.E., Vander Hyde, K., Lynch, J.P., Iannettoni, M., and Clark, N.M. Aspergillus infections following lung transplantation. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, 14:283-8, 2006.
- Grim, S.A., Slover, C.M., Sankary, H., Oberholzer, J., Benedetti, E., and Clark, N.M. Risk factors for wound healing complications in sirolimus-treated renal transplant recipients. Transplantation Proceedings, 38:3520-3, 2006.
- Clark, N.M. Legionella infections complicating lung and solid organ transplantation. In Lung and Heart-Lung Transplantation, Ed. Joseph P. Lynch and David Ross. Lung Health and Biology in Disease Series, Marcel Dekker, Inc. 2006, pp. 607-21.
- Lynch, J.P. and Clark, N.M. Atypical pneumonias. In Encyclopedia of Respiratory Medicine, Ed. Geoffery Laurent and Steven Shapiro, Elsevier Limited, Oxford, UK. 2006, pp. 410-16.
- Reid, G.E, Grim, S.A, Aldeza, C.A., Janda, W.M., Clark, N.M. Rapid development of tigecycline resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii. Pharmacotherapy, 27:1198-1201, 2007.
- Grim, S.A., Pham, T., Thielke, J., Sankary, H., Oberholzer, J., Benedetti, E., and Clark, N.M. Infectious complications associated with the use of rituximab for ABO-incompatible and positive cross-match renal transplant recipients. Clinical Transplantation, 21:628-32, 2007.
- Alhyraba, M., Grim, S.A., Benedetti, E., and Clark, N.M. Novel presentation of cytomegalovirus enteritis after liver and kidney transplantation. Transplant Infectious Diseases, 9:343-6, 2007.
- 28. Bhayani, N., Clark, N.M., Ranade, P. and McGuinn, M. Varicella-Zoster virus and cerebral aneurysm: case report and review of the literature. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 47:e1-3, 2008.
- Grim, S.A., Rene, L., Gupta, S. and Clark, N.M. Safety of linezolid in patients with baseline thrombocytopenia. J Antimicrob Chemother, 62:850-1, 2008.
- Grim, S.A., Hong, I., Freeman, J., Edwards, C. and Clark, N.M. Daptomycin for the treatment of vancomycin-resistant enterococcal infections. J Antimicrob Chemother. 63(2):414-6, 2009.
- Bhayani, N., Simpkins, H., Janda, W.M., Berkes, J. and Clark, N.M. Corynebacterium striatum septic arthritis and bacteremia: case report and review. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice, in press.
- Reid, G.E., Grim, S.A., Sankary, H., Benedetti, E., Oberholzer, J. and Clark, N.M. Early intraabdominal infections associated with orthotopic liver transplantation. Transplantation, accepted for publication.