Department Home | Site Map | Contact Us | UIC Home

Residency Program

The General Surgery training program at the University of Illinois at Chicago Health Sciences Center is a five-year training program which provides a comprehensive and state of the art curriculum at one of the finest universities in the country. As an additional benefit this educational jewel of a program is located in the heart of one of the most dynamic cities in the nation-Chicago. UIC has a bright future as it moves toward becoming one of the nation’s leading public universities committed to its mission to teach, research, serve and care.

The combined clinical and academic resources of the University of Illinois Health Sciences Center, Jesse Brown VA Hospital, Weiss Hospital and Christ Hospital, provide a magnificent setting for training the future surgeon well into this millennium. For instance, first, second and third year residents are rotating through Weiss Hospital, under the excellent direction of Dr. Duarte and his team.

The total number of surgical patients available to the training program exceed those found in most centers in the United States. The scope of the clinical programs and variety of tertiary services are comprehensive and at the forefront of modern surgery. Residents also rotate to affiliated hospitals for burns (Loyola) and a variety of other rotations (Stroger Hospital of Cook County).

This integrated five-year non-pyramidal program is designed to provide teaching and graduated supervised responsibility in the clinical practice of general surgery and experience in the surgical specialties. The program is structured to permit trainees interested in academic surgery to spend two or more years in research pursuits in addition to clinical rotations. Our program draws on the unique strengths of its integrated hospitals to provide breadth and excellence in clinical teaching at the bedside, in the operating room, in an advanced education lab and during conferences. Our chief residents at UIC usually complete the program with 800-1,000 cases. Approximately 15% of our graduates enter practice opportunities while the other 85% obtain fellowship positions in some of the most prestigious fellowships in the United States.

The section of Surgical Education is committed to developing a surgical education environment among residents, faculty and students, which fosters intellectual development and camaraderie and is on the cutting edge of surgery. Our state of the art Surgical Education Laboratory, comprehensive educational conferences, and commitment to surgical research clearly position us in the forefront of surgery now and into the future.



For detailed exploration of residency, click here.

 

 

© 2007 University of Illinois at Chicago. All rights reserved.