CUPPA Alumni Association Board Meeting Minutes
March 18, 2008
Present: Helene Berlin, Tom Besore, Eve Ali Boles, Peter Czubak, Rich Deleo, Abraham Deletioglu, Anne Fuller, Jennifer Ganser, Kara Knack, Anna Kulseth-Williams, Peggy Laemle, Rebecca Mix, John Mukasa-Ssebaana, Angela Prazza, Bob Rice, Norm West
CUPPA Staff Present: Jodi White Jones, Michael Pagano
Bob called the meeting to order at 6:15pm.
- Welcome & Introductions – Bob Rice
- PASA AY 07-08 Overview – Evelyn Yang
- Evelyn passed out a brochure from the last panel event – Spotlight on the General Services Administration
- Students appreciated the resume and portfolio workshops and would like to see more of this kind of thing.
- Approval of Minutes – The minutes from January 22, 2008 were approved.
- Professional Development – Eve Ali Boles & Rebecca Mix
- Spring Speakers Series - only doing 2 this year
- Green Planning
- Event was well attended – there were at least 35 people.
- No set topic or speakers for April event but trying to do it on Business Improvement Districts and Special Services Areas.
- Planning has been slow on this – need someone to spearhead.
- Decided to postpone until the fall.
- The Urban Transportation Center (UTC) Event on Transportation in Chicago
- April 21, 2008
- Elvira and David are working with Jodi and UTC
- Want a downtown venue
- Should be a very good turnout
- Pricing will be similar to what it was 8 years ago
- Experience UIC
- Will happen on September 6, 2008
- Special Events – Kara Knack
- Award Event:
- Relatively good attendance
- The honoree was thrilled and gave a donation to the college at the end of the event
- Friday, May 9, 2008 at 10am at the new UIC Forum
- If you want to volunteer, contact Jodi
- Summer Event
- The event will be held at the Chicago Botanic Garden
- The committee has a conference call scheduled for March 31st at 7pm to get the details together.
- Membership & Marketing – Tom Besore
- Marketing list was handed out – the board members need to provide contact person updates
- Flyers were distributed for the Green event which went well.
- The committee is prepared to market future events too
- Student and Alumni Connections – Angela Prazza
- Resume and Career Week
- Events went really well. The career stories, how to build a portfolio, & resume workshop was really good and students stayed until 7:30pm. Everyone plus some faculty moved over to Jak’s for networking afterwards.
- There was great student and speaker feedback.
- Tonight’s event – Interviewing Skills - was not as well attended.
- Why not open this up to alumni who could benefit as well?
- The key for this is to partner with PASA and UPPSA
- Internship Fair
- Friday, April 4, 2008
- Jobs and Internships
- Organizations should come whether or not there are open positions
- Financial Report – Peg Laemle
- We came out $712 ahead on the award event
- We made $215 on the Spring Speakers Series event – there were no expenses
- We sold 4 more mugs
- We are in good shape financially
- New Business
- Alumni Awards
- Jodi White Jones handed out a list of alumni awards
- There are a lot of potential awards that are open to nominations
- Still working on writing up a process for how the CUPPA Alumni Association Award works
- We will take a look at existing awards and at the June meeting, we will set a process for nominating in the future.
- The awards on the handout are especially pertinent for CUPPA alumni
- Board Meetings
- Can we schedule two board meetings in the fall?
- Mid-September & Mid-November
- We’ll add this issue to the wiki for feedback
Next meeting is June 10,2008 at 6pm.
Adjourned at 7:15pm