CUPPA Alumni Association
Board of Directors Meeting and Annual Election
June 22, 2010, 6:00 p.m., CUPPA Hall, Room 110, 412 South Peoria Street, Chicago, IL
Peter Czubak, Pegge Laemle, Mike McDermott, Jason Saavedra, Adam Rogers, Temple Shepard, Nicole Sims, Peter Skosey, Norm West, Jen Tammen, Helene Berlin, Laura Lassiter Carroll, Robert Currie, Richard DeLeo, Rebecca Mix, Moira O’Donovan, Abraham Deletioglu, Staff: Jodi White Jones, Dean Pagano, Annie Ginzkey
Minutes taken by Annie Ginzkey
I. President’s Welcome: Helene Berlin, 6:00 p.m.
II. Dean’s Welcome and Report: Michael Pagano
Dean Pagano may become Interim Dean of UIC’s College of Business until a permanent dean is hired while continuing to serve as Dean of CUPPA Public Administration Professor Karen Mossberger may take on the role of Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs for CUPPA.
Provost Tanner stepping down.
III. Approval of Minutes 2/9/10 (see www.uic.edu/cuppa/alumni/)
IV. Committee Charge, Report & FY10 Wrap Up
A. Professional Development –Jennifer Tammen
1. Report on Public/Private Partnerships Event 4/22: 30 people attended, lively discussion at Metropolitan Planning Council
2. Report on How to Start Your Own Business Event 6/3: Approximately 10 people came, $15 each at door.
B. Student and Alumni Connections- Michael McDermott
1. Speed Networking 11.09: CUPPA graduates, second year students, DePaul Real Estate, John Marshall Law School. More students should be invited next year
2. Career Prep Day 4.10: Good attendance, about 25 students and 8 alumni. Reviewed resume and networking afterwards at Jak’s
3. Student Alumni Mentoring Program: Pilot this year, CUPPA students paired with alumni for class and career advice, mentoring. Eleven students in the program, more were on a waiting list; possibly add more alumni next year. Committee will evaluate this year and make recommendations for next year.
C. Special Events - Peter Czubak
1. Alumni Appreciation Award Reception Event 3/19: 25 people attended, reminder for board members to pay regardless of whether they went to the event or not
2. Summer Event Ideas: Graceland cemetery tour, tour of underground Chicago
V. Financial Report - Peg Laemle
1. August brewery tour brought in a lot of money for AA
2. Proposed budget for Student Alumni Mentoring group
VI. Introductions of those present: Helene Berlin
VIII. Annual Election
A. Call for additional nominations to attached slate: none
B. Board vote: slate approved
C. Officer vote: Helene President; Rebecca Mix VP. Laura Carroll elected Treasurer; Secretary TBD.
D. Committees- TBD
VII. UIAA Update
A. UIC Night at the White Sox - August 14th - 1/2 price tickets if you order online using the code. More information at www.uiaa.org/uic
B. Behind the Scenes at the Mexican Fine Arts Museum - Thursday, September 30th, from 6-8. Reception and private tours - watch the mail and our website for more information.
C. UIAA Alumni Award nominations are due September 30, 2010
D. Save the date -- Alumni 5 -Friday, October 15th.
For more information, www.uiaa.org/uic/programs/alumni_five/
E. CUPPA Alumni Board Members Must Be UIC Alumni Association Sustaining Members: (Please join at http://www.uiaa.org/uic/membership/levels.html)
SUSTAINING MEMBER – a member who has made an annual gift of $50 or more. The designation of Sustaining Member is for a full year from the date the contribution is recorded. *
IX. New Business
A. Peter Skosey recommends recognizing CUPPA graduate Cassandra Francis – worked with Metra, 2016 Olympic Bid
B. MPC event on July 8, 2010 – discussion on fighting traffic congestion. Email Peter Skosey for details.
X. Next tentative Board Meeting: September 14, 2010
XI. Adjournment: 7:20 pm
* In addition to becoming a sustaining member of the UIC Alumni Association ($50), which includes CUPPA Alumni Association membership, an additional $50 contribution is requested from all CUPPA board members. This contribution is generally payable at the CUPPA Alumni Association Appreciation Award Reception held during the Spring.
CHECK THE CUPPA Alumni BOARD WIKI: http://uiccuppaalumni.pbworks.com/
LinkedIn: UIC-College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs Alumni
Facebook: UIC Urban Planning and Public Administration Alumni