CERTIFICATE IN NONPROFIT MANAGEMENT COURSES
The Nonprofit Board of Directors
This course explores how the concept of governance today is changing with an increased emphasis on leadership in the face of rapid social and economic change. Learn to strengthen the efficiency and effectiveness of a nonprofit board as you survey board roles and responsibilities, governance structure, board recruitment and retention and much more.
Sample Syllabus - subject to change at the instructor's discretion.
This intensive five-week course explores the following topics:
• Nonprofit Governance Essentials: Building a Knowledge Base
• Nonprofit Governance in Transition
• Board Structure and Infrastructure
• Recruiting, Orienting, and Retaining New Board Members
• Toward Increased Board Effectiveness: Where do we go from here?
Special features of this course:
• A weekly Resource Center provides carefully tailored readings and other resources
• “Studio” activities provide opportunities for new and experienced practitioners to cultivate practical skills
• Original case studies and problem-based learning activities
• In-depth weekly discussions on the real-life challenges and opportunities of nonprofit governance management
• Small class size of 25 participants
What you and your organization will gain from this course:
• Identify generally accepted roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards, and differentiate between those of board and staff
• Discuss the need for "transformative governance" in the face of complex challenges facing nonprofits today
• Determine how board committee structure and roles might change in a nonprofit organization's life cycle
• Customize board composition and diversity in the context of a specific nonprofit organization
• Identify strategies to implement and measure "governance as leadership" in an organization
This is an instructor-led course delivered entirely online. It is highly interactive and requires active participation on discussions boards and completion of assigned projects. We estimate spending an average of 8 – 10 hours per week on each Certificate in Nonprofit Management course. For this reason, we highly recommend students participate in no more than two CNM courses at a time.
Course next offered: 05/23/2013 - 06/26/2013
Registration Opens: 05/03/2013
Click here to register !