CERTIFICATE IN NONPROFIT MANAGEMENT COURSES
Operations Management: Topics in Organizational Effectiveness*
This course provides an overview of nonprofit operations and explores four significant facets of operations management that are not currently addressed elsewhere in the certificate curriculum: human resource management, information technology, performance management and IRS compliance and transparency. These topics are subject to change as new courses are developed.
Sample Syllabus - subject to change at the instructor's discretion.
This intensive five-week course explores the following topics:
• Introduction to Nonprofit Operations and Current Trends
• Human Resource Management
• Information Technology
• Performance Management
• IRS Compliance and transparency
Special features of this course:
• A weekly Resource Center provides carefully tailored readings and other learning resources
• “Studio” activities provide opportunities for new and experienced practitioners to cultivate practical skills
• Original case studies and problem-based learning activities
• In-depth weekly discussions on the real-life challenges and opportunities of operations management
• Small class size with a maximum of 25 participants
What you and your organization will gain from this course:
• Understand the scope of activities commonly referred to as “operations," the role of an operations manager and current trends in nonprofit operations management
• Recognize fundamental principles and best practices of effective human resource management
• Identify trends and key issues related to managing information technology in a nonprofit organization
• Explain what the growing emphasis on performance management is all about and identify methods used to track performance
• Understand how IRS compliance requirements have changed and what nonprofits need to do to maintain compliance and function with transparency
*New topics as of July 2012.
This is an instructor-led course delivered entirely online. It is highly interactive and requires active participation on discussions boards and completion of assigned projects. We estimate spending an average of 8 – 10 hours per week on each Certificate in Nonprofit Management course. For this reason, we highly recommend students participate in no more than two CNM courses at a time.