FTP: File Transfer Protocol
In order to get your web pages from your computer to the internet, you need to send them to the server. In order to do this, you need several pieces of information and some software.
You can FTP from Dreamweaver, but you will need to be careful to make sure it doesn't send your file on the internet until you are ready for it to appear there!
- Host name or address of your server such as" google.com"
- the assigned User ID to the ftp account
- the password to the User account
FTP in Dreamweaver is located at the top, in the second level of menu items, next to the page title. The Up and Down arrow buttons are for "Getting" & "Putting" files on the server.
- If you skipped the server information in the last exercise, you will need to insert the server information now.
- Choose Site/Edit Sites from the menu. Cycle through these settings changing the FTP information.
- Test the connection to the server.
- Place a file on the server by selecting the up arrows and choosing Put. This will upload the file to the server.
- Open a browser window and view the page by locating it via its address, such as http://www.myserver.com
UIC FTP INFO:
Host Name/Address: ftp.uic.edu
UserID: Your UIC user name (ex: cwilso3)
Password: The password you use to chack your email
For further instructions, please see the Dreamweaver FTP tutorial.
There is also a variety of free FTP software packages available.
For a small fee, you can purchase the most popular ftp package called WS-FTP
which use to be free to students.
Once you install the ftp software, or use Dreamweaver, you will need to connect to the server.
Fill these into the program and select Apply to add them to your FTP sites.
You then locate the files from your coputer (in the left window) and select them (select multiple holding control) and send them to the specified place on the server (right window). The arrows inbetween indicate the direction of the information.
This graphic shows part of the conents located on the server (right) and my hard drive (left). Notice the arrows in the middle. By selecting a document on my computer and pressing the arrow pointing to the right, I will send the document to the server. I can download documents from the server to my computer as well.