The Urban and Public Affairs program prepares students for urban professions and graduate school. UPA students are encouraged to research various career paths inside and outside the public sector. Learn more about urban professions and careers in public service.
UPA students have access to a wide variety of networks for employment and internship search assistance, as well as leadership development. For more information on career development at UIC and CUPPA contact Carlos Lopez.
The mission of the UIC Office of Career Services is to provide personalized services that assist UIC students and recent graduates in a process of self-assessment, career planning and preparation in order to facilitate lifetime career development and success.
Information is also provided about part-time employment opportunities to help make the connection between the academic world and real world work experiences while at UIC; full-time employment opportunities to ensure a successful transition from UIC to the world of work; and graduate/professional school catalogues are available to assist students interested in continuing their education.In addition, the office maintains and continues to develop mutually beneficial relationships with regional employers of all sizes to promote the employment of UIC students and graduates. Learn More
CUPPA offers an annual career and internship fair. The CUPPA Alumni host various professional development workshops to help students prepare to meet with the public organizations represented at the fair.Learn More
Build networks and career knowledge by attending various events and/or joining professional organizations. The links in these sites also offer a host of information.
- American Institute of Architects
- American Institute of Architecture Students
- Association for Public Administrators
- The Association for Community Design
- Community Development Society
- Greenpeace International
- Illinois City/County Association
- Illinois Chapter of the American Planning Organization
- International City/County Management Association
- International Downtown Association
- International Society of City and Regional Planners
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
- National Association of Schools in Public Affairs and Administration
- Planners Network
- Urban Affairs Association
- Urban Development Institute
- Urban Land Institute