Service Learning Opportunities
Information on Service Learning Opportunities for Organizations and Students
The UPA Senior Capstone Project is a service learning experience that provides students the opportunitity to work in teams with a community or governmental agency in a professional capacity.
The UPA internship Program provides students with opportunities to gain hands on experience working in a public service organizations.
Capstone is learning in action providing students with experiences that allows them to integrate classroom learning with a relevant problem solving experience in an actual work situation. Over the course of an academic year, students work in teams to address organizational challenges, identify opportunities for a client organization, and conduct research on a pressing social question. Capstone projects contribute to students' education, but also the greater public good.
Organizations click here for more information about the UPA Senior Capstone Projects and to apply for a Capstone Team.
Past UPA Senior Capstone Agencies AY 2009:
- Telpochcalli Community Education Project
- The Local Economic and Employment Development (LEED) Council
- Greater Humboldt Park Community of Wellness
- The Resurrection Project
- The Center for Economic Policy Analysis
- Andersonville Development Corporation
Capstone Agencies AY 2010:
- WomanCraft – Heartland Alliance
- The Resurrection Project
- Centro Romero
- Alliance to End Homelessness in Suburban Cook County
- Hanul Family Alliance
- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP)
- Community Youth Development Institute
- Office of State Representative Karen A. Yarbrough
- The Renaissance Collaborative, Inc.
Capstone Agencies AY 2011:
- West Humboldt Park Development Council
- Fresh Moves
- Associate Professor Noel Chavez, Department of Community Health Sciences
- Community Development Consultant Michael Schubert
Capstone Projects and Agencies AY 2012:
- Annie’s Legacy: Community Assessment of the 51st/State Street area to determine whether the location is suitable for a new Annie’s Legacy office space (domestic violence/employment program).
- IMD Guest House: Grant writing to fund program needs
- Illinois Farms, Food and Jobs Council: GIS mapping of farming in Illinois
- Lawndale Christian Health Center: Bike plan for the lawndale area
- Office of Sustainability at UIC - UIC employee/student/staff Bike Analysis
- Office of Sustainability at UIC - Student/Dorm Recycling Plan
- Pilsen Alliance: Analysis on equitable economic development in Pilsen
- Street Vendor Study: research initiative is to understand more in depth the relationships formal employers have with informal employees such as seasonal, non contracted street vendors.
- Veteran’s Administration: Research on ways in which the federal and state veteran agencies communicate to improve services to veterans overall.
Capstone Projects and Agencies AY 2013:
- CTA Project: Created method of communication and tracking of incident reporting and instruments used.
- Chicago Justice Project: Looked at crime reduction in Chicago neighborhoods based on economic investment and development.
- Heritage Garden: Created a gardening internship at UIC
- ICA Culture Project: Researched and created an educational plan on improving sustainable environment in a shared office building
- ICA Sustainability Design: Researched the legal challenges to incorporating a brown water filtration system in the ICA building
- IL Local Food and Farms Organization: Defined the term “Locally Grown” for research and education purposes
- Maxwell Street Market: Study on vendor cooperation and market expansion
- West Town Bikes/Bikerdike Redevelopment Corp.: Study on safe biking and walking passage through the Humboldt Park area
Under the supervision of the UPA Director and an agency supervisor student interns take the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom and apply them in real-life work situations, learning from professionals while they explore and experience career options.
The Urban and Public Affairs program provides students with the opportunity to gain internship experience - this will help connect theory to practice, explore career options, gain knowledge of the workplace, and contribute to the community. For more information on internships contact Carlos Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizations, click here to post an internship announcement for UPA Students.
Students, click here for the UPA Internship Program Guidelines and Requirements.