PhD Application Procedure
Thank you for your interest in the Phd in the Department of Urban Planning and Policy at UIC. The university is in the process of updating the application submission process. You will be able to upload all of your documents along with your application to the PhD in Urban Planning Program. More specific details regarding this process will be available on 9/17/12.
There are various options for financing your studies. Students are encouraged to explore both the CUPPA Distinguished Graduate Scholar (DGS) Award and the UPP Departmental Scholar Award, both of which provide four years of support. Students may also be supported by individual faculty on research grants.
Applicants for the PhD programs who wish to enroll in the GSAV certificate program should briefly indicate their intention in the personal statement required as part of the application process.
A checklist is available to assist you in ensuring that your application packet is complete and properly formatted for submission.
- Completed Online Application
Make sure you keep a copy of your login and password information. You will need it in order to upload your supplemental credentials later
- Non-refundable application fee ($60 - Domestic / $60 - International) Credit card is the preferred method of payment.
For detailed application instructions go to: https://tigger.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/apply_grad_degree_supplemental.html
After UIC has received your application you will receive a confirmation email with instructions to upload supplemental department credentials within 3-5 business days then proceed to step 2.
- Unofficial Academic transcripts from all post secondary institutions (uploaded within the online application)*
*Please note we will accept unofficial transcripts during the application review phase. If you receive a favorable admission decision you are REQUIRED to submit OFFICIAL transcripts.
For more information on official transcripts please see:
- Official GRE score- school code 1851 (Applicants can upload a copy of their unofficial score report to the online application)
- Three letters of recommendationfrom instructors familiar with your academic training or supervisors familiar with your professional experience (Applicants will supply the names and email of their recommender on the online application. UIC will then email recommenders directions for uploading their letters of recommendation online
- Statement of Research Interest/Personal Statement should be one to two pages should include information on the applicant's educational and career goals detailing relevant academic and employment experience and identifying an area of concentration that the applicant is interested in studying. Applicants are required to submit a plan of study during the second semester in the program so it is possible to change concentrations after enrolling in the program. If you are applying for the UPP Departmental Scholar Award, please state in this document that you wish to be considered for this award. (Applicants can upload a copy of this document within the online application)
- Writing Sample of the applicant's work, i.e. a recent paper, essay or project of which the applicant is the sole author. This submission may be of an academic, professional, or personal nature, and must be at least 1,000 words in length. Writing Samples cannot be more than 10 pages long (they can be taken from a larger work). (Applicants can upload a copy of this document within the online application)
- If you wish to be considered for merit based financial assistance awarded by UPP in the form of a research assistantship you must submit Application for Graduate Appointment [downloadable pdf file] to be considered for financial assistance. If you wish to be considered for the CUPPA Distinguished Graduate Scholar Award, please include your application materials for that award as part of this document. (Applicants can upload a copy of this document within the online application)
- Current Resume (Applicants can upload a copy of this document within the online application)
- For international applicants: The following information is required only of international applicants: TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). The minimum acceptable score is 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based). IBT scores are Writing: 21; Speaking: 20; Listening: 17; Reading: 19; Total score: 80. IELST scores are Listening: 6.0; Writing: 6.0; Reading: 6.0; Speaking: 6.0; Total score: 6.5. (Applicants can upload a copy of this document within the online application)
International applicants FAQ: http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/grad/international_requirements_grad.html
For specific instructions regarding the document upload system please go to:
Checking Application Status
Because of the volume of applications received, the UPP Program cannot respond to individual inquiries regarding credentials. Please do not contact us about your application unless you receive an email from the UPP Program office (not UIC's Office of Admissions and Records) asking for additional information.
Phone calls with requests for status updates will not be returned. The department will regularly update applicants on the status of their application.
For additional information please contact:
Admission & Records Officer