Minority Women Concerns
The Minority Women Concerns subcommittee addresses issues of particular concern to women of color. Its areas of focus include promoting and supporting research and evaluation intended to improve the status of women of color; helping to create a university climate that will help women of color to realize their educational and professional goals; and recommending changes in campus policy to assure the inclusion of women of color.
Katherine Battee-Freeman 312-996-2300
Second Co-Chair TBD
In-Person: Student Services Building, Room 3050 at 1200 W. Harrison
At a Distance: call 712-432-1212 and enter meeting ID 706-674-900
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 pm, feel free to bring a lunch
When: Second Friday of each month
|Friday 3/13/15 CANCELED
|Click on active links for meeting notes.
Financial Planning with Dee Reynolds
Friday, March 20, 2015
12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
Room 5175, College of Medicine Research Building
909 South Wolcott Avenue (West Campus)
CCSW Minority Concerns Subcommittee is bringing guest speaker Bee Reynolds to campus to discuss financial planning and answer your questions. Ms. Reynolds is a financial planning consultant with more than 10 years of experience and has worked as an auditor for the State of Illinois. Ms. Reynolds will discuss strategies for debt reduction, short and long term savings, retirement planning, managing students loans and more based on your questions.
A light lunch will be provide for those who RSVP to Stephanie Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 312-413-3785, by Friday, March 13.
We encourage you to take the Campus Shuttle Bus but if you must drive, the closest parking lots are Lot A3 (1934 West Taylor Street), Lot B2 (900 South Wolcott Avenue), and Lot A4 (1937 West Taylor Street).
MEMBERSHIP AND LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
- Do you want to make a difference at UIC, ensure UIC is an equitable place for Minority Women, build your resume, and practice and develop your leadership skills?
- If you can answer yes to the above questions, become a member of the CCSW Minority Women Concerns subcommittee. We are always accepting new members. Membership in the CCSW Minority Women Concerns subcommittee is simple. First, email or call the chairperson to let her know you want to be a member. Then provide assistance with developing ideas, planning, and staffing our various events. You are also asked to attend monthly subcommittee meetings as often as your schedule allows.
- Currently we looking for women who are willing to become co-chairs of this subcommittee. Click here to email our co-chairs if you are interested, have suggestion of who would be able to do the position, or have any questions regarding the co-chair position.
ACTIVITIES WE SPONSORED 2004-2014:
- Financial Planning with Dee Reynolds, March 2015
- Sponsored 12 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium May 2014
- Gift Giving on a Budget December 2013
- Sponsored several women for the Women's Leadership Symposium 2013 June 2013
- Professional Development Luncheon April 2013
- Gift Giving on a Budget, Part IV: Giving community, December 2012
- Summer After Work: Networking & Live Jazz, July 2012 (includes pictures)
- Sponsored 4 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium June 2012
Remarkable Women: Statements & Photos for the Professional Woman, March 2012
- Dress for Success, February 2012
- Gift Giving on a Budget, Part III, December 2011
- Domestic Violence Awareness: Erasing the Stigma, October 2011
- Look Great at 88, April 2011
- Hat and Glove Drive benefiting two community agencies, November - December 2010
- Gift Giving, Family Fun, and more on a Budget, Part II , November 2010
- Sponsored 11 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium, June 2010
- Gift giving, family fun, and more on a budget!, December 2009
- Making Healthy & Tasty Choice on a Budget, November 2009
- Time Management and Professional Networking, September 2009
- Sponsored 8 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium June 2009
- Balancing Everyday Life and Educational Advancement April 2009
- Let's Talk about Money February 2009
- Sponsored 11 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium June 2008
- Author Discussion with Alexis Pride June 2008
- Communications Skills Workshop November 2007
- Sponsored 10 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium June 2007
- Sponsored 9 women for the Women's Leadership Symposium June 2006
- Home Buying and Real Estate April 2006
- Finances and Your Future: Preparing for a Brighter Tomorrow February 2006
- Minority Women and Foods October 2005
- Healthcare: A Luncheon Discussion April 2005
- 11th Annual Pa'Lante Conference April 2005
- Minority Women Concerns Open House March 2005
- Training and Development Expo: Planning for your future even in economically challenging times September 2004
- Who Are You: Exploring and Apply Self Identity in March 2004
- 2014 Native Amrican Heritage Celebration
- Navigating Negotiations with Emily Easton, November 2014
- Gift Giving on a Budget VI: Upcycled T-shirt scarves, November 2014
- CCSW Networking Night, May 2014
- 2014 Minority Health Midwest Conference, February 2014
- 3rd Annual University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health 2011 minority Health in the Midwest Conference, February 2011
- Introduction to Networking in the 21st Century, May 2010
- AAAN Class of 2010 Career Networking Event, April 2010
- Stress Management, May 2009
- Women and Money: Personal Finances, Savings, and Credit March 2008
- Summer Solstice with the Senator June 2007
- No! The Rape Documentary April 2006
- Networking Reception honoring Dr. Giachello March 2006
- Daughter@Work Day in April 2004, April 2005, April 2006
- Smart Women Finish Rich March 2004
- Educational Film Series March 2004