The Children’s Center welcomes classroom volunteers. Volunteers are asked to commit to a weekly schedule agreed upon with the assistant director.
Volunteers must also meet the following requirements before entering the classroom:
- Minimum 14 years of age
- Recent medical verifying good health (within 6 months)
- Verification of a recent negative TB test (within 3 months)
- Clearance on a criminal background check
- Completion of Children’s Center visitor orientation
Interested individuals should call the assistant director to further discuss volunteer opportunities.
West Site: 312-413-5326
One of the purposes of the Children’s Center is to provide observation experiences for students of education and related professions.
- Observations should be scheduled with the assistant director at least one week before the intended visit date.
- Observations are not scheduled between 11:30-3:30 because the children are eating and napping.
- Depending on the type of observation experience or assignment‚ an observer may be invited to view a presentation that gives a brief overview of the curriculum implemented at the Center. Observers may also be asked to complete an evaluation of the site visit.
- Children are the first priority and will be protected from too many "strangers" in the classroom. Professors interested in offering the Children’s Center as an option for observation assignments should contact the Center Director beforehand. The Center serves as a resource for many students across campus and‚ at times‚ scheduling can be a problem.
UIC Children’s Center welcomes students interested in practicum/internship experiences within an early childhood education setting. Those interested should contact the Center Director at least one semester prior to the intended practicum experience.