Description and Brief History of CRWG
The Center for Research on Women and Gender (CRWG) is the result of collaborative work among researchers from the Colleges of Nursing, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Medicine, Social Work, and the School of Public Health. CRWG's efforts are focused on multidisciplinary, collaborative research and training in the areas of health, work, and culture, broadly defined. The Center is currently supported by the University through the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research in addition to several external funders. The Center has received support from multiple sources including the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Institutes of Health, and the Johnson Foundation.
The Center encourages and supports collaborative research at UIC through a variety of activities. Center staff are available to assist faculty members in developing proposals, to provide office support for grant writing and submission, and to provide fiscal management after the grant is obtained. The Center is not located within a specific college, but reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Research. This disciplinary independence facilitates working with faculty from a wide variety of fields.
In 1986, the UIC Faculty Senate approved Graduate Concentrations in Women's Health and Women's Studies; these concentrations provided momentum for the development of a new research center designed to promote collaborative research related to women and gender among UIC faculty. In September, 1991, the Illinois Board of Higher Education voted to approve the Center for Research on Women and Gender, and in July, 1992, Alice J. Dan, Ph.D., was appointed director. Since then, the Center has sponsored research crossing a range of disciplines; held major conferences on women's health; developed programs for students and faculty focused on women in science, math, engineering and technology; and expanded its staff, funding, and space. The Center currently occupies space on the fifth floor of the DSHP building at 1640 W. Roosevelt Road.