- Current Position:
of History (M/C 198)
University of Illinois at Chicago
913 University Hall
601 South Morgan Street
Chicago, Illinois 60607-7109
Fax: (312) 996-6377
- Ph.D., History,
Harvard University, 1992
- A.M., History,
Harvard University, 1987
- M.A., Russian Area
Studies Program, Georgetown University, 1986
- B.A., Universite
de Montreal, 1983. All instruction in French (Philosophy)
- World History
- Late Imperial Russian
government, law, politics, and institutions
- Early Soviet systems
of social and political control
- 19th and 20th century
Russian political, cultural, and social history
- Comparative European
institutional and legal history
- “Pravda o russkoi revoliutsii”: Vospominaniia K. I. Globacheva, poslednego nachal’nika Okhrannogo otdeleniia Petrograda (in production with ROSSPEN, Moscow)
[“The Truth about the Russian Revolution: Recollections of K. I. Globachev, the Last Security Police Director of Petrograd, with Z. I. Peregudova].
- Russia in War and Revolution, 1914-1922: A Documentary History , (Indianapolis and Cambridge, Mass.: Hackett Publishing Company, 2009) [with Leonid Trofimov]
- “Government, Press, and Subversion in Russia, 1906-1917,” The
Journal of the Historical
Society 9 (March 2009): 23-65.
- “Machine guns, Hysteria, and the February Revolution in Russia,”
Russian History 36, no. 1 (2009): 1-15.
Crime in Late Imperial Russia: A Comparative Analysis,” Journal of Modern
History 74 (March 2002): 62-100
pressa i antigosudarstvennaia deiatel’nost’ v Rossii, 1906-1917 gg.,” Voprosy
istorii, no. 10 (2001)
poslednei kreposti: Bolshevistskoe napadenie na tserkov', 1922," Uchenye
Punishments and Europeanization in Russia," Jahrbücher für Geschichte
Osteuropas, No. 3 (2000)
ob okhrane 14 avgusta 1881 goda i repressivnaia politika imperskoi Rossii,"
Klio, no. 1 (7) (1999): 103-17
- "On the
Significance of Emergency Legislation in Late Imperial Russia," Slavic
Review 54 (Fall 1995): 602-629
Chapters in Books:
- “Police and Revolutionaries,” in The Cambridge History of Russia, vol. 2 (1689-1917), ed. Dominic Lieven (Cambridge University Press, 2006), 637-54.
Punishments in the European Mirror, in Susan McCaffray and Michael
Melancon ed., Russia in the European Context, 1789- 1914: A Member of
the Family (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005).
terror v Sovetskom gosudarstve (v otsenkakh rossiiskih i zarubezhnykh issledovatelei)"
["Red Terror in the Soviet State: Assessments by Russian and Foreign Scholars"],
in V. D. Kamynin and Vladimir N. Brovkin et al. ed., Rossiia v XX v.:
Istoriia i istoriografiia, vol. 2 (Ekaterinburg: Ural'skii gosudarstvennyi
- "The Security
Police in Late Imperial Russia," in Anna Geifman, ed., Russia Under the
Last Tsar: Pre-Revolutionary Politics, 1897-1917 (London: Blackwell,
- "Polozhenie ob
okhrane 14 avgusta 1881 g. i represivnaia politika imperatorskoi Rossii."
In Politicheskii sysk v Rossii: Istoriia i sovremennost'.(St. Petersburg:
Izd. Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta ekomomiki i finansov, 1997)
- "Storming the Last
Citadel: The Bolshevik Assault on the Church, 1922," in Vladimir N. Brovkin,
ed., The Bolsheviks in Russian Society: Revolution and Civil Wars (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1997)
Selected Scholarly Presentations:
- “Bolshevik Power and Ideas of the Common Good,” American Association for
the Advancement of Slavic Studies (AAASS), Annual National
Meeting, Boston, November 13, 2009.
- “Party and State Institutions in the First Year of Bolshevik Rule,” American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (AAASS), Annual National Meeting, Washington, D.C., November 18, 2006.
- “Rasstreliat’! Capital punishment and Executions in Bolshevik Russia, 1917-1922,” AAASS, Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, November 6, 2005.
- “Terror and Civil War in Russia, 1917-1921,” AAASS, Annual National Meeting, Boston, December 6, 2004.
- “Western Civilization in Global Perspective,” The Historical Society Biannual National Meeting, Boothbay Harbor, ME, June 4, 2004.
Services in Imperial and Soviet Russia," Kritika (Fall
Stepan Petrovich"; "Benckendorff, Aleksandr Khistoforovich, Count"; "Burtsev,
Vladimir L'vovich"; "Capital Punishment in Russia and the Soviet Union,"
"Department of Police of the Russian Empire"; "Drentel'n, Aleksandr Romanovich";
in Supplement to the Modern Encyclopedia of Russian, Soviet, and
Eurasian History, ed. Bruce Adams (Gulf Breeze, Fla.: Academic
International Press, 2003-2004), vols. 3-4.
- "Zubatov, Sergei,"
in Encyclopedia of Russian History, ed. James R. Millar
(New York: Macmillan Reference USA, 2004).
Publication of Documents:
- "A. I. Spiridovich.
Okhrana i antisemitizm v dorevoliutsionnoi Rossii," Voprosy istorii,
no. 8 (2003): 3-36. ["The Security Police and Antisemitism in Prerevolutionary
- S. N. Globacheva,
"Preliudiia proiskhodiashshikh v mire sobytii," Voprosy istorii,
nos. 11-12 (2002). ["Prelude to Recent World Events" (a memoir),
with Z. I. Peregudova]
- K. I. Globachev,
"Pravda o russkoi revoliutsii: Vospominaniia byvshego nachal'nika Petrogradskogo
okhannogo otdeleniia," Voprosy istorii, nos. 7-10 (2002).
["The Truth about the Russian Revolution: Memoirs of the Former Chief of
the Petrograd Security Police," with Z. I. Peregudova]
Writings in Progress:
- "Freedom Defeated:
The Bolsheviks and Civil Society in Soviet Russia, 1917-1922" (book manuscript
in progress; expected completion in 2010).
Shirley Bill Award, Department of History, UIC, 2008 (best history
professor as selected by
faculty and undergraduate and graduate students)
- University-wide teaching award, Teaching Recognition Program, Council for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, UIC, competition of 2007-2008.
- Faculty Fellowship,
Institute for the Humanities, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2002-2003
- Research Fellowship,
Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Research-Arts, Architecture, and the Humanities
(OVCR-AAH), University of Illinois at Chicago, November 2001
Research Exchanges Board (IREX) Short-Term Travel Grant, May 2001
- Office of the
Vice Chancellor for Research - Arts, Architecture and the Humanities Faculty
Research Award, UIC. Research award to support research in Russia, November
- Institute for
the Humanities, University of Illinois at Chicago, Grants-in-Aid program,
Research Exchange Board (IREX) Short-Term Research Fellowship, 1994 and 1998
of Illinois at Chicago Campus Research Board Grant for Research and Travel,
1993 and 1996
- H. F. Guggenheim
Foundation Reseach Fellowship, 1995-1996
Research Grant, Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies of the Woodrow
Wilson Center, November 1995
Research Exchange Board (IREX) Long-Term Research Fellowship, 1990-1991
Department of History Faculty