|Astrida Orle Tantillo
Professor and Director of the School of Literatures, Cultural Studies and Linguistics
1731 University Hall
University of Illinois at Chicago
601 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60607
University of Chicago, Committee on Social Thought, August 1994
Advisor: Karl J. Weintraub
University of Chicago, Committee on Social Thought, March 1990
University of Oregon Honors College, Double Major: European History and German,
June 1985. Junior Year Abroad: University of Freiburg.1986
- “The Catholicism of Werther.” German Quarterly 81 (2008): 408-23.
- “Werther, Frankenstein, and Girardian Mediated Desire.” Studia Neophilologica, 80 (2008): 133-43.
- "Damned to Heaven: The Tragedy of Faust Revisited." Monatshefte, 99 (2007): 454-468.
- "The Subjective Eye: Goethe's Farbenlehre and Faust " in The Enlightened Eye: Goethe and Visual Culture . Ed. Evelyn Moore and Patricia Simpson. Amsterdam: Editions Rodopi, 2007 . 265-77
- "Reforming College: What Professors Don't Tell You." 17 November 2005 Slate Magazine .
- "Goethe's 'Classical' Science," in Weimar Classicism . Ed. Simon Richter. History of German Literature Series. Rochester: Camden House, 2005. 323-45 .
Evolutionary Thinking," in Goethe, Chaos, and Complexity. Ed. Herbert
Rowland (Amsterdam: Editions Rodopi, 2002), 47-56
New Reading of Werther as Goethe's Critique of Rousseau," Orbis Litterarum56 (2001): 443-65
and Productivity in Goethe's Die Wahlverwandtschaften," Seminar
36 (2000): 310-25.
Nature: German Science, Literature, and Philosophy in the Eighteenth Century,"
Teaching the Eighteenth Century 7 (1999): 17-29
and National Culture: A Case Study of Latvia" in Raison universelle et
culture nationale au siècle des Lumières (31-46). Ed. David
Bell, Stéphane Pujol, and Ludmila Pimenova (Paris: Champion, 1999)
Botany and His Philosophy of Gender," Eighteenth-Century Life 22 (May
Spending and Fiscal Restraint: Balancing the Budget in Die Wahlverwandtschaften,"
Goethe Yearbook 7 (1994): 40-61
- Henrik Boëtius, Marie Lousie Lauridsen, and Marie Louise Lefèvre. Light, Darkness and Colours. Icarus Films: Brooklyn, NY. 2000. Goethe Yearbook, 2010
- Armstrong, John, Love, Life, Goethe: Lessons of the Imagination From the Great German Poet , Chicago Tribune, Sunday Book Review Section (5) 28 January 2007.
- Lesley Sharpe, The Cambridge Companion to Goethe , Monatshefte 96 (2004): 613-14.
- Curran, Jane V., Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship : A Reader's Commentary , Lessing Yearbook , 35 (2003): 330-31
Jane V. Curran, Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship: A Reader's Commentary
in Lessing Yearbook (forthcoming)
"Northern Dreams of the South: Imagining Italy in the Eighteenth Century."
Review Essay on Italian Culture in Northern Europe in the Eighteenth Century(ed. Shearer West) and Italy in the German Literary Imagination (by
Gretchen Hachmeister) in Eighteenth-Century Studies 37 (2004): 311-13
Jutta Linder, "Falsche Tendenzen": Der Staatsdiener Goethe und der
Dichter in German Quarterly 76 (2003):120-21
Karin Schutjer, Narrating Community after Kant: Schiller, Goethe, and Hölderlinin Monatshefte 95 (2003):335- 37
Werner Schlick, Goethe's Die Wahlverwandtschaften: A Middle-Class Critique
of Aesthetic Aristocratism in Seminar 39 (2003):74-75
Martha B. Helfer, ed., Rereading Romanticism in Goethe Yearbook
Karl Maurer, Goethe und die romanische Welt in German Quarterly73 (2000): 314-15
Stefan Blessin, Goethes Romane: Aufbruch in die Moderne in German Quarterly
71 (1998): 304-305
Review: Astrid Köhler, Salonkultur im klassischen Weimar: Geselligkeit
als Lebensform und literarisches Konzept in Colloquia Germanica 3 (1997):
Marie Mitchell Olesen Urbanski, ed., Margaret Fuller: Visionary of the New
Age in Goethe Yearbook 8 (1996): 362-64
Peter Burgard, Idioms of Uncertainty: Goethe and the Essay in Goethe
Yearbook 7 (1994): 261-64
- “New Trends in German Studies,” A Workshop for Advanced Graduate Teaching Assistants in German Studies in the Midwest, Chicago , January 2007. (Sponsored by the Goethe Institute and DAAD.)
- "Goethe's Faust: Damned to Heaven," UIC, Dept. of Classics and Mediterranean Studies, March 2006 .
Science and German Classicism," University of Chicago, History of the Human
Sciences Workshop, October 2003
- "Goethe in Songs," guest lecturer (class), Northwestern University, School of Music , 2003, 2004, 2005 .
Will to Create: Goethe's Theory of Evolution," Bryn Mawr College, April 2000
Evolutionary Thinking," Symposium on "Goethe, Chaos, and Complexity,"
Purdue University, April 1999
Scientific Revolution," UIC Institute for the Humanities, January 1998
Work and Play: Lessing and Schiller," Chicago Humanities Festival, November
and the Natural Sciences: 'Interest' in 'Nature' as a 'Way to Humanität,'"
Department of Germanic Studies, University of Chicago, November 1996
- “Werther the Fundamentalist,” American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Portland, March 2008.
- Panel chair, “Terror and Human Rights: Kleist,” MLA, Chicago 2007.
- Panel moderator, “Humanistic Literacy in an Anti-Intellectual Culture,” UIUC-UIC initiative: The Humanities and the Public University, March 2007
- Roundtable participant, “Pflicht und Kür – Going Beyond Taking Graduate Courses,” Workshop for Advanced Graduate Teaching Assistants (Sponsored by DAAD and the Goethe-Institute Chicago).
- Panel Chair, “Games People Play,” MLA, Philadelphia, December 2006.
- "A 'Monstrous' Reading of Werther : Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Goethe," GSA, Pittsburgh, September 2006.
- Panel Moderator, “ Literature and the Limits of Discipline,” GSA, Pittsburgh, September 2006.
- Invited conference participant, " Liberty , Law, and Daring in the Prometheus Myth," San Diego , January 2006.
- Panel Chair, "Border Crossings in 18th and 19th-Century German Literature," MLA, Washington D.C., December 2005
- Invited conference participant, "Evolution and the Novel," Toronto , April 2005.
Invitational Workshop on Blended Learning, Chicago, April 2004
and Eighteenth-Century Evolutionary Theory," International Society for Eighteenth-Century
Studies, Los Angeles, August 2003
Chair, "Framing Goethe's Science," International Society for Eighteenth-Century
Studies, Los Angeles, August 2003
Planning and Budgeting," CIC Academic Leadership Seminar, Purdue University,
and Human Resources," CIC Academic Leadership Seminar, Michigan State University,
Nature and Goethean Philosophy," American Society for Eighteenth-Century
Study, Colorado Springs, April 2002
Subjective Eye: Polarity and Creativity in Goethe's Farbenlehre," German
Studies Association, October 2000. (Paper read in my absence)
Conference Participant, "Goethe's Faust: Liberty and Responsibility in the
Quest for Knowledge," Colorado Springs, March 2000
Co-Chair, "Science and Popular Culture in the Enlightenment," American
Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, March 1999
Eighteenth-Century Studies: German Science, Literature, and Philosophy,"
American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, April 1998
Chair, "Goethe and the Visual Arts," American Society for Eighteenth-Century
Studies, April 1998
Chair, "The Eighteenth-Century Scientist: From Dilettante to Professional,"
American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, April 1997
Moderator, "Trust: Barriers and Bridges," Institute for Business and
Professional Ethics, DePaul University, February 1997
as Self-Parodist: Der Triumph der Empfindsamkeit," Modern Language Association,
December 1996. "Herder and German Nationalism: A Case Study of Latvia,"
East-West Seminar: "Universal Reason and National Culture During the Enlightenment,"
sponsored by the International Society for Eighteenth- Century Studies, Paris,
July 15-19, 1996
Scientific Principle of Compensation," German Studies Association, September
Nature: Law and Landscape in Rousseau, Austen, and Goethe," American Society
for Eighteenth- Century Studies, April 1995
Reconfiguration of the Family in Die Wahlverwandtschaften," Modern Language
Association, December 1994
Shoots, Asexual Reproduction, and the Androgynous Soul in Goethe's Elective Affinities,"
Midwest Modern Language Association, November 1993
Longings, Creative Impulses: Art and Nature in Goethe's Elective Affinities,"
Midwestern American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, October 1993
- Visiting Associate Dean, Literatures, Cultural Studies, and Linguistics 2009-2010.
- Associate Dean, Special Dean for General Education, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, UIC 2005-2006.
- Associate Dean, Divisional Dean of the Humanities, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, UIC, 2002-2005.
- Visiting Assistant Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, UIC, 2001-2002.
of the College's Programs and Curricula, 2001-
of Humanities Departments, 2002-
of the University's General Education Program, 2003-
University's Subcommittee on Course Availability, 2004-
University's General Education Steering Committee, 2003-
University's Steering Committee on Hybrid Courses 2004-
of LAS 100 (Freshman Seminar), 95 sections, 2001-2003
of the College's Educational Policy Committee, 2001-
Board, LAS Alumni Magazine, 2003-
Faculty Seminar, "Beyond Structure and Agency" 2003-
Member, UIC Writing Center, 2004-
Annual LAS Showcase Event, 2004
Executive Officer Search, 2001-2002
of the College's Scholarship Committee, 2001-2002
of the College's Teaching Competition Committee, 2001-2002
liaison to Newberry Library, Undergraduate Seminar, 2001-
representative for the Humanities Panel, Illinois Articulation Initiative, 2001-
and Departmental Service:
- Chair, Committee to Establish School of Literatures, Linguistics, and Cultures, 2008-2009
- Search Committee Chair, Polish Studies Chairs, 2009-2010
- Search Committee, Catholic Studies Chair, 2008-2010
- Honors College Council (Executive Committee) Member, 2007-2010
- Chair, Committee on Central and Eastern European Studies, 2007-2008
- Faculty Judge, Student Research Symposium, 2009
- Phi Beta Kappa Selection Committee, 2005-
- Undergraduate Committee, History Dept. 2005-
- Goodman Prize Selection Committee, History Dept. 2005-
- LAS Scholarship Committee, 2005-2006
- Search Committee, History Department 2005-2006
- Interviewer, Campus Fulbright and Gates Fellowships, 2001-2002, 2006
Scholarship Committee, Spring 2001
University Scholars Competition, Spring 2001 & 2004
College Fellow, August 2000 to present
College Tuition Waiver Committee, Fall 2000
Student Advisor, German Department, August 2000 to August 2001
Department Advisory Committee, August 1995 to present
and Graduate Curriculum Committees, German Department, August 1998 to August 2000
Studies Committee, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, March 1998 to May 2000
German Awards Day, April 1999-2001
Department Library Committee, January 2000 to August 2001
Department Director of Undergraduate Studies, May 1996 to August 1997; June 1998
to August 1999
of twelve M.A. committees (chaired three); member of four dissertation committees
Group on LAS Cluster Courses in General Education, Summer/Autumn 1997
Faculty Retreat on General Education, April 1997
Department LAS Quorum Committee, August 1995 to August 1997
Committee Member (three junior and two senior searches)
Fellow, Committee on Institutional Cooperation Academic Leadership Program
UIC's Teaching Recognition Award
research fellowship, Weimar Classics Foundation, Germany, Summer 1998
Teaching Award, American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Campus Research Board Award, 1998
Grants-in-Aid (Research travel funds), 1998
Fellow, UIC Institute for the Humanities (one-year research fellowship), 1997-98
East-West Seminar, International Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, Paris,
July 15-19, 1996
Fellowship, German Studies Seminar, Summer 1995
Fellow, Bradley Foundation, 1991-93 (Saul Bellow's Research Assistant)
Goodshaw Clark Fellowship, Committee on Social Thought, 1987-91
Fellowship, Division of the Social Sciences, University of Chicago, 1987-91
- President, Goethe Society of North America, 2010
- Vice-president, Goethe Society of North America 2008-2009
- Editorial board, New Studies in the ‘Age of Goethe.' Bucknell University Press
- Book Series Editor, New Studies in the ‘Age of Goethe.' Bucknell University Press, 2006-2010
- Executive Committee, Division on Eighteenth- and Early-Nineteenth Century German Literature, Modern Language Association, 2005-2009.
Secretary, Goethe Society of North America, 2005-2008
- Outside Reader for German Quarterly , Seminar , American Philosophical Society, Ashgate Press, University of Missouri Humanities Board, Rutgers University Press, European Romantic Review , Goethe Yearbook , Women in German Yearbook , Bucknell University Press
- External Review Committee, Dept. of German and Slavic Studies, Wayne State University, 2007
Radio Interview, "The Eternal Feminine," interview by Ann Feldman, March
Scholar, Benefit for Artistic Circles/Illinois Humanities Council, August 2000
1998-99 Teaching Competition, American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
Committee, Goethe Society of North America, 1997 & 2002