New Employee Orientation
All new-hires, Academic Professionals and Civil Service support staff, should complete UIC New Employee Orientation within ten calendar days of their effective hire date. New Faculty members should visit the Faculty Affairs HR website http://www.uic.edu/depts/oaa/fahr/ for appropriate orientation information.
New Employee Orientation is a process including:
1. Campus Orientation is an online module that provides information about the UIC Mission and history, campus facts, and how to navigate in the UIC environment. Access NESSIE New Hire to review the Task List and complete the New Employee Online Campus Orientation.
2. Benefits Orientation is an instructor-led session by representatives from the Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS). Health insurance options and retirement planning are reviewed during this session. Please click NESSIE New Hire to register for Benefits Orientation.
3. College/Unit Orientation covers specific job responsibilities, individual performance expectations and college/unit objectives and operations. Follow-up with the HR representative in your college or unit to confirm New Employee Orientation Processes for the area.
Should you opt to enroll in benefits at UIC, it is imperative that you complete the initial benefits forms. If initial benefits forms are not completed within the first ten calendar days of employment, new employees are restricted to the following:
1. Enrollment in the State of Illinois Health and Dental Plans (Quality plans as opposed to HMOs)
2. Life Insurance limited to annual salary
3. Coverage for the employee only; dependents cannot be insured until next enrollment period
If a new employee is eligible for benefits and unable to attend the Benefits Orientation within ten calendar days of hire date, the employee or a representative from the hiring college/unit should contact the Benefits Center either on, or before the employee’s first work day. The Benefits Center can be reached at (312) 996-6471.