University of Illinois at Chicago Human Resources
Guidelines for Establishing and Reusing Academic Positions
A new Position must be established in Banner if
- the organization does not have a vacant position in the same employee group as determined by the 1st character of the employee class code assigned to the position or if
- the vacant position is being held for re-use at a later date or if
- the organization does not have a pooled position set up for the position class code (e.g. LUMP, SMMR).
An existing vacant position number can be reused by the organization so long as the necessary changes do not require or result in changing the employee group assigned to the position.
- Vacant Project Coordinator position could be refilled with another Project Coordinator
- Vacant Project Coordinator position p-class and title could be modified to use for a Data Analyst which would also require a new PAPE number on the regulatory information NBAPOSN sub-form
- Vacant Project Coordinator position could not be modified to use for a faculty appointment
For this reason, these generally should not be modified.
The following categories of positions are pooled and typically have more than one active incumbent.
- Graduate Assistantship positions (coded with GA e-class)
- Summer appointments (coded with MM e-class)
- Lump Sum positions (coded with LP e-class)
- Unpaid positions (coded with UA e-class)
Employee Group – High level employment categories such as faculty, academic professional, academic hourly, graduate assistantship, post-doctoral research associate, resident, and unpaid. These groups correspond to the first letter of the e-class code used on the NBAPOSN form. (e.g. B – Academic Professional)
Employee Class – High level employment categories that provide more distinctions than the employee group such as benefit eligibility, leave category, hours per day, and eligible earnings codes. (e.g. BA - Acad/Pro 12mth Ben Elig)
Position Class – A position classification that has a default title, EEO skill code, FLSA status, and salary range. (e.g. RALAA – HR Coordinator)