Study lounge, conversation space, and event location for language learning! Many events happen in the Oasis, everything from film screenings to conversation clubs to outside presenters giving cultural demonstrations (oftentimes with free food!) or academic lectures.
Relax, study, talk
The Language Oasis is also a place to just take a break and enjoy our two flat screen televisions featuring online international programming, local broadcast channels, and streaming movies. Check out laptops or DVD players from the public computer lab, GH 306, and sit in the Oasis to do your work or relax.
Open Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM or sometimes later (during Spring/Fall terms).
- During breaks or summer terms, the room is open on a by-request basis. Just come in and ask for it to be opened.
Accommodates up to 30 seated or 50 standing people.
- This makes for a tightly packed room with limited view of the presentation, if any. 20 seated or 40 standing is much more comfortable. Click within the video of the Oasis below to see an arrangement for an audience of about 25.
Usual furniture layout: 7 small tables, 14 stackable chairs, 8 soft chairs, and 4 footstools.
- There are about 20 additional stackable chairs in the room, and one long folding table. If you rearrange the furniture, please return it to its usual position when your event is over. See the video at the bottom of this page for usual furniture configuration.
- For special presentations, we can provide a projector and screen. Click within the video of the Oasis below to see an example of a "presentation" type layout.
Food and drink are permitted.
- Please be courteous and always clean up after yourself/the other people attending your event!
- Conversation Clubs are welcome to use the LCSL Coffee Cart with advance arrangement.
Host an event!
Students are welcome to host events, or bring movies to watch (some language learning or cultural component, please), or arrange to meet language partners in this space! For group events, please contact us in advance so we can add it to the calendar.
|One-time culture event
(like a lecture)
|Weekly culture event
(like a Conversation Club)
|One-time film event
(like a special screening)
|Weekly Film event
(like a Film Club)
All daytime events should be open to the University public. The doors must remain open, and students already present or who wander in are welcome to come to your event, or sit in empty chairs and not participate either. The Language Oasis is not a private party room.
Language Oasis typical lounge layout
Use your cursor to scroll horizontally through the panoramic image.