New Library Faculty Orientation Guidelines
The following guidelines are intended to guarantee that new faculty receive appropriate orientation. Timeliness is an important element of the process. In cases where the department or division head lacks the time or expertise to conduct parts of the orientation, those parts may be delegated to appropriate colleagues. Not all items listed are essential for all faculty. In particular, under III., the new faculty member and his/her department/division head can negotiate a selection of appropriate items.
B. Information on the roles of administration, department head, other faculty, academic professionals, classified staff, and student workers
C. Basics of the Illinois civil service system (as appropriate)
2. Tour of library at the local site
3. Tours of libraries at other UIC sites (as appropriate)
4. Tour of local campus facilities
5. Orientation to local services and facilities, such as Personnel Services, Benefits Center, Office of Business Affairs, computer centers, campus unions, shuttle bus, escort car, etc.
2. Schedule meetings or lunches with all faculty in department, or site library
3. Schedule meetings or lunches with counterparts at other sites (as appropriate)
4. Schedule meetings or lunches with heads of other departments or sites (as appropriate)
1. Integration of research with librarianship and service
1. Faculty bylaws
2. Personal invitation to new faculty to attend research brown bags
2. Resources available
If new faculty have questions related to F through I, they may want to set up a meeting with the Secretary of the Executive Committee for futher discussion.
2. Senate election
2. Evaluation and Interview of Candidates