UIC INSTITUTIONAL MEMBERSHIPS
The University Library supports several open access initiatives by providing institutional memberships.
- Public Library of Science
- UIC is a Promoting Member of Public Library of Science, which entitles UIC faculty to a 30% discount on publishing charges in the following open access journals:
Nucleic Acids Research
UIC is an Institutional Member of Nucleic Acids Research, which entitles UIC authors to a 50% discount on the Open Access Charge when publising in Nucleic Acids Research. Nucleic Acids research membership is coded by computer IP address, so if you are submitting your manuscript using a UIC computer, the discounted form should appear. If you have trouble obtaining the discount, contact Deb Blecic, email@example.com.
- UIC is a Supporters Level Member of BioMed Central, which entitles UIC faculty to a 15% discount on the article processing charge when publishing in a BioMed Central open access journal.
- BioMed Central publishes a large number of journals for which all of the research articles are available via open access. For most journals, all other content is open access as well, for others the other content is only available via subscription.
Last updated: Wednesday, 25-Apr-2007 11:44:33 CDT
- UIC is a full member of SPARC®, the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition of universities, research libraries, and organizations. SPARC works to create a “more competitive and diverse marketplace for scholarly communication through support of high-quality, economical alternatives to high-priced journals.”
- SPARC works with publishing partners “who are committed to fair pricing, the ethical use of scholarly resources, and intellectual property management policies that emphasize broad and easy distribution and reuse of material.” The UIC Library likewise endeavors to support many of these publishers through subscriptions.