(UIC Users only)
You will need the following information to successfully complete
this installation and use MDL CrossFire Commander 7 SP2:
- Host name: Beilstein.library.wisc.edu
- Group name: uni-il-c
- User ID: uicgm
- Password: ipxc44--
Note: if you are upgrading from Commander2000 or MDL CrossFire Commander V6, the installer will automatically
pick up all the necessary information from the previous installation. You will be offered the option of keeping or removing the older version during installation; to avoid confusion, it is advisable to let the installer remove the older version.
1. Point your web browser to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries Crossfire
Client Distribution Page (a new window will open so you may continue
to view this help page throughout the installation process).
2. Download the self-extracting archive XFC7SP2.zip to a temporary
directory on your hard drive (you may want to use your Desktop for this operation).
3. Double-click on the XFC7SP2.zip archive: a folder named XFC7SP2 will be created, containing three files: MDLCrossFireCommander70SP2.exe, CrossFire_Commander_70_SP2_Installation_Guide.pdf, and CrossFire_70_SP2_Administrators_Guide.pdf.
4. Double-click on the MDLCrossFireCommander70SP2.exe file to launch the installation process, and follow the istructions on the screen.
5. You will be asked for the following:
- The TCP/IP address / the host name of your MDL CrossFire Server: Beilstein.library.wisc.edu
- Depending on what version of Windows you have on your machine, the (work)station ID (or name): Enter the name
of your machine ("My computer" by default, or whatever name you have chosen instead).
- CrossFire Group Name: Enter the group name
for your university (see above).
* If you are not sure what the name of your
machine is, and you have a "My computer" icon on your desktop,
chances are that "My computer" is the name of your machine. However,
to make sure, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Network and
click on the tab that reads "Identification" or "Computer
Name" (depending on your operating system); the value in the "Computer
description" box is the name of your machine.
6. The installer now has all the information it needs. You may finish the
installation. A shortcut named MDL CrossFire Commander 7.0 will be created automatically on your desktop.
7. You will be asked for your User ID and Password when you launch Commander
and iniate a connection (see above).
8. Upon opening CrossFire, make sure at least a database (Beilstein, Gmelin, or both) is selected ("File" > "Select Database..."); also make sure a Structure Editor is selected ("Options" > "Select Structure Editor..."). If you cannot see the "Start Search" button at the right-down corner of the MDL CrossFire Commander screen, just click on the "Maximize" icon of the window (right-upper corner of the window).
- The structure editor does not close upon exiting Commander. See also the
University of Wisconsin-Madison's Troubleshooting
Questions may be directed to LIB-SCI@uic.edu.
to the Beilstein introduction page