Clarence Darrow Community Center records
MSCDCC71

 An inventory of the collection at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Summary Information

Repository
Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives
Creator
Clarence Darrow Community Center (Chicago, Ill.).
Title
Clarence Darrow Community Center records
ID
MSCDCC71
Date [inclusive]
1954-1970
Extent
8.0 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract:
The collection contains records dating from 1954 to 1970 including committee reports, correspondence, budgets, programs, photographs, newspaper clippings, annual reports and a scrapbook. The materials pertain to the administration of the community center and its programs.

Preferred Citation

Clarence Darrow Community Center records, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative history of Clarence Darrow Community Center

The Clarence Darrow Community Center (originally the Ryder Community Center) was established to serve the Garfield Ridge community in the city of Chicago. The center began in 1953 as a response to perceived needs of the residents of the Leclaire Courts public housing development. Leclaire Courts, low-rise housing for 616 primarily white families, was opened in 1950 in a relatively undeveloped area on the western edge of the city. The area had no established recreational and social service facilities but a Community Council coordinated the activities of several volunteer organizations, which sponsored clubs and activities for residents of Leclaire Courts. The experiences of the teen Swing-In Club, organized to hold weekly socials, convinced Community Council members of the need for a group work agency with trained social workers.

At the suggestion of Dr. Curtis Reese, Dean Emeritus of the Abraham Lincoln Center, the Community Council appealed to the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee to establish a permanent community center. At their August 1953 meeting in Andover, Massachusetts, the Service Committee agreed to sponsor the project. Space was leased from the Chicago Housing Authority at 4410 S. LaPorte and the new center was incorporated in January 1954, and dedicated June 20, 1954. It included a kitchen, library and several multi-purpose rooms. The center was named for Dr. William H. Ryder, a well-respected Universalist minister who worked in Chicago prior to 1900. To ensure community involvement an autonomous, bi-racial, local Board of Directors was created. Board members served one-year terms and were responsible for policy, budget, personnel, and fundraising. Rev. David Cole, minister of the First Universalist Church was the first board president. The initial staff consisted of Rev. Donald Thompson, acting Executive Secretary, a Program Director, and several volunteers. Irene Smith, a trained social worker, became the first Director. Volunteers supplemented the center's small paid staff.

The Ryder Community Center was committed to providing meaningful social and educational activities for the neighborhood, fostering independence and self-reliance, strengthening family life and promoting physical and mental health. The center was non-sectarian and its services were rooted in the belief that social group-work enriched the life of the individual and created harmonious relations with others. The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee saw the Center as a "pilot project" to prove the possibility of amicable relations among diverse national and racial groups.

In its first year, several existing community programs were co-sponsored and many new activities begun. The primary focus was on involving young people from the community in clubs and classes. The center was also the site of several community festivals and parties. Legal aid, physician referrals, and employment assistance were available. Later, a summer day camp for younger children was begun and the center held dances, parties, movies, and athletic activities.

In 1960, a second building at 4340 S. Lamon, about a block away from the original center, was leased from the CHA. The organization changed its name to the Clarence Darrow Community Center and the original building became known as the Ryder Building while the new building was called the Darrow Building. The new building housed administrative offices, a large canteen, a craft shop, a Thrift Shop, a small meeting room, and a kitchen. In the 1960s, the Center offered club groups, game rooms, movies, a glee club, arts and crafts activities, and field trips. The day camp continued to be a popular summer activity. The center also offered referral services for children with special needs, family referrals to casework agencies, a birth control clinic in cooperation with Planned Parenthood Association, legal advice, and counseling for teens on jobs, unwed parenthood, and delinquent behavior. The center advocated for the community on public school issues and efforts to get a public library and swimming pool. After passage of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 (War on Poverty), the center participated in VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America), the Job Corp, and the Neighborhood Youth Corp.

The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee and the Community Fund of Chicago provided funding. The center was also affiliated with the Chicago Federation of Settlements and Community Centers and the Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago. Benefits were held to supplement funding. In 1962, the Clarence Darrow Commemorative Committee began organizing an annual Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, which included entertainment and the presentation of humanitarian awards for civic and social endeavors. Recipients included Studs Terkel, Charles Percy, and Representative Abner Mikva. Proceeds went to the center.

The focus of activities increasingly pointed towards fostering better relations among neighborhood residents. In the 1950s, the population of Leclaire Courts became primarily African American while white residents bought new single-family homes surrounding the housing development. Of the 224 families served by the Clarence Darrow Community Center in 1961, only 14 were from outside the housing development. Among the efforts to involve residents from the surrounding community was the creation of home groups that met in basements, garages, and kitchens. In cooperation with the CHA and the Illinois Youth Commission, tenants were organized into the Citizen's Improvement Committee to upgrade neighborhood safety and maintenance.

In 1966, to augment their services, the Clarence Darrow Center signed an affiliation agreement with Hull House Association, the social service agency that carried on the work of the original settlement house on Halsted Street. The agreement, which took effect January 1, 1967 allowed the Clarence Darrow Community Center to keep its corporate identity, its funding sources, and it relationship with the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee but merge its staff and budget. The records in this collection end soon after this affiliation.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

This collection documents the administration of the Clarence Darrow Community Center from its establishment in 1953 until approximately 1969, with a concentration on the mid-1960s. The collection includes correspondence, meeting minutes, annual reports, newspapers and clippings, photographs, programs, tickets, scrapbooks, and receipts. Materials are in reverse chronological order. The materials were arranged in series by the cataloger:

Series 1: Administrative records

Series II: Affiliations

Series III: Board of Directors

Series IV: Correspondence

Series V: Executive Director

Series VI: Financial records

Series VII: Newspapers and newsletters

Series VIII: Photographs

Series IX: Programs

Series X: Publicity

Series XI: Staff

Series XII: Subject files

Series XIII: Scrapbooks

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives 2004-02-20

801 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60607
312.996.2742

Restrictions on Use

Case files and personnnel records are restricted.

Custodial History

Materials in this collection were donated to the University of Illinois at Chicago, Main Library, Special Collections, on July 8, 1971.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Clarence Darrow Community Center (Chicago, Ill.). -- Archives
  • LeClaire Courts (Chicago, Ill. : Housing project).

Subject(s)

  • Community centers -- Illinois -- Chicago.
  • Hull-House and Settlement House History.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series I: Administrative Records 

Box Folder

Administrative records - Corporate Records, 1954-1968 

1 1

Administrative records - Ryder and Darrow Centers annual reports, 1954-1963 

1 2

Administrative records - Ryder and Darrow Centers By-Laws, 1955-1966 

1 3

Return to Table of Contents »


Series II: Affiliations 

Box Folder

Affiliations - Chicago and National Federation of Settlements, 1955-1969 

1 4

Affiliations - Chicago Federation of Settlements, 1965-1969 

1 5

Affiliations - Chicago Federation of Settlements, Neighborhood Youth Corps, 1969 

1 6

Affiliations - Chicago Housing Authority annual reports, leases, correspondence, 1954-1966 

1 7

Affiliations - Chicago Housing Authority, 1966 

2 8

Affiliations - Chicago Housing Authority, 1965 

2 9

Affiliations - Chicago Housing Authority, 1963 

2 10

Affiliations - Chicago Housing Authority, Summary of Workshop Sessions, 1959 

2 11

Affiliations - Community Fund correspondence, 1966 

2 12

Affiliations - Community Fund financial reports, 1966 

2 13

Affiliations - Community Fund correspondence, 1965 

2 14

Affiliations - Community Fund financial reports, 1965 

2 15

Affiliations - Community Fund financial reports, 1964 

2 16

Affiliations - Community Fund financial reports, 1963 

2 17

Affiliations - Housing Information, 1955-1964 

2 18

Affiliations - Hull House Association, 1963-1970 

2 19

Affiliations - National Federation of Settlements, 1969 

3 20

Affiliations - Resource Agencies, ca. 1953-1969 

3 21

Affiliations - Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, 1966 

3 22

Affiliations - Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, 1965 

3 23

Affiliations - Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, 1964 

3 24

Affiliations - Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, 1963 

3 25

Affiliations - Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago - policies, 1958-1969 

4 26

Return to Table of Contents »


Series III: Board of Directors 

Box Folder

Board of Directors - Fact Finding Committee RESTRICTED, 1970 

4 27

Board of Directors - member lists, 1965-1970 

4 28

Board of Directors - Ralph Loeff, President, newspaper clippings, 1969 

4 29

Board of Directors - members certificates, 1968 

4 30

Board of Directors, 1966 

4 31

Board of Directors, 1965 

4 32

Board of Directors, 1964 

4 33

Board of Directors, 1963 

5 34

Board of Directors, 1962 

5 35

Board of Directors - Rev. David Cole, President, 1953-1960 

5 36

Board of Directors - Rev. David Cole, President, case report for Roy Casney [RESTRICTED], 1960 

5 37

Board of Directors, 1956 and earlier 

5 38

Board of Directors - case reports [RESTRICTED], 1956 and earlier 

5 39

Return to Table of Contents »


Series IV: Correspondence 

Box Folder

Correspondence - incoming, 1969-1970 

5 40

Correspondence - outgoing, 1969-1970 

5 41

Correspondence - incoming, 1968-1970 

5 42

Correspondence, 1960/1969 

5 43

Correspondence, 1966 

6 44

Correspondence, 1965 

6 45

Correspondence, 1964 

6 46

Correspondence, 1955-1961 

6 47

Correspondence, 1956-1957 

6 48

Return to Table of Contents »


Series V: Executive Director 

Box Folder

Executive Director, Fred Hubbard - correspondence, 1968 

6 49

Executive Director - reports, 1961-1966 

6 50

Executive Director - speech, n.d. 

6 51

Return to Table of Contents »


Series VI: Financial records 

Box Folder

Financial records, 1968 

7 52

Financial records - audit, 1966 

7 53

Financial records - budget, 1966 

7 54

Financial records - contributions, 1966 

7 55

Financial records - United Settlement Appeal, 1966 

7 56

Financial records - budget, 1965 

7 57

Financial records - contributions, 1965 

7 58

Financial records - finance Committee, 1964-1965 

7 59

Return to Table of Contents »


Series VII: Newspapers and newsletters 

Box Folder

Newspaper clippings, 1957-1969 

7 60

Newspapers - Le Clarion, Community News, 1967-1969 

7 61

Newsletters - Le Claire Home Journal, Le Claire Councilor, 1954-1960 

7 62

Return to Table of Contents »


Series VIII: Photographs, 

Box Folder

Photographs, n.d. 

8 63

Photographs - Clarence Darrow Center, n.d. 

8 64

Photographs, slides, n.d. 

8 65

Return to Table of Contents »


Series IX: Programs, 

Box Folder

Programs - Author and Celebrity Party, 1961 

8 66

Programs - Authors Party, 1963 

8 67

Programs - Bowen Country Club applications, camper control cards, 1969 

8 68

Programs - Case file of Patricia Duck [RESTRICTED], 1961-1963 

8 69

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1965 

8 70

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1965 

8 71

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1964 

9 72

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1964 

9 73

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1964 

9 74

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1963 

9 75

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1963 

9 76

Programs - Clarence Darrow Commemorative Evening, 1962 

9 77

Programs - Club policy forms, n.d. 

10 78

Programs - Community Newspaper Workshop, 1965 

10 79

Programs - Day Camp Records RESTRICTED, 1967 

10 80

Programs - "Hair" Benefit, 1969 

10 81

Programs - Josetta Williams, club reports RESTRICTED, 1967 

10 82

Programs - Neighborhood Youth Corps, 1965-1966 

10 83

Programs - Program Committee, 1966 

10 84

Programs - Program Committee, 1965 

10 85

Programs - Program Committee, 1964 

10 86

Programs - Program Committee, 1963 

10 87

Programs -Sally Gibbard report [RESTRICTED], 1964 

10 88

Programs - Senior Citizens, 1965-1969 

11 89

Programs - VISTA, 1965-1966 

11 90

Programs - VISTA - trainee evaluations [RESTRICTED], 1965-1966 

11 91

Programs - War on Poverty, 1964-1966 

11 92

Return to Table of Contents »


Series X: Publicity 

Box Folder

Publicity - Ryder and Darrow Centers, n.d. 

11 93

Speech, n.d. 

11 94

Return to Table of Contents »


Series XI: Staff 

Box Folder

Staff meetings, 1969 

11 96

Staff - personnel policies, job descriptions, 1955-1966 

11 97

Return to Table of Contents »


Series XII: Subject files 

Box Folder

Subject files - Community Library, 1964 

11 97

Subject files - School issues, 1962-1964 

12 98

Miscellaneous, 1966 

12 99

Miscellaneous, 1965 

12 100

Miscellaneous, n.d. 

12 101

Return to Table of Contents »


Series XIII: Scrapbooks 

Box Folder

Oversize - Scrapbook, 1956-1970 

13 102

Oversize - Scrapbook continued, 1956-1970 

13 103

Oversize - Scrapbook, 1955-1970 

13 104

Oversize - Scrapbook continued, 1955-1970 

13 105

Oversize - Scrapbook continued, 1955-1970 

13 106

Oversize - Scrapbook continued, 1955-1970 

13 107

Oversize - Scrapbook continued, 1955-1970 

13 108

Return to Table of Contents »