Henry Booth House records
MSHBH_70

 An inventory of the collection at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Summary Information

Repository
Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives
Creator
Henry Booth House.
Title
Henry Booth House records
ID
MSHBH_70
Date [inclusive]
1898-1970
Extent
7.0 Linear feet
Language
English
Abstract:
The Henry Booth House Records include minutes, reports, correspondence, clippings, receipt books, surveys, questionnaires, brochures, social work files, research papers, photographs, negatives, and related materials from affiliated organizations such as the Hull House Association, Chicago Maternity Center, and Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago.

Preferred Citation

Henry Booth House records, Special Collections and University Archives, University of Illinois at Chicago

Return to Table of Contents »


Adminstrative History

The Henry Booth House was established in Chicago in May 1898 by the Ethical Humanist Society and named for the Society's first president, Judge Henry Booth. The Henry Booth House's founders sought to improve living conditions in the surrounding neighborhood, promote good citizenship, strengthen family life and the sense of community, and also to enrich the lives of the House's staff. The Ethical Humanist Society Board of Trustees later reorganized the Henry Booth House as a separate not-for-profit corporation in 1914.

Henry Booth House was first located at 135 West 14th Place. Allen Bartlett Pond designed a new facility at the 701 West 14th Place site in 1905. The settlement served a diverse and ever changing neighborhood with Irish and German area residents in its early period followed by Czechs, Russians, Jews, Poles, Lithuanians, Italians, and other new immigrants. By 1949, the neighborhood surrounding Henry Booth House was almost entirely populated by African-Americans. The extension of the Congress expressway through the area, an overall decline in population, and competition from other settlement houses threatened the central purpose of the Henry Booth House.

The Chicago Housing Authority asked the Henry Booth House to relocate to the Harold L. Ickes and Dearborn Homes at 2328 and 2910 South Dearborn Street in 1955. The settlement house was to serve the residents of public housing units in exchange for subsidies from the Chicago Housing Authority (CHA). The Henry Booth House could then rent its facilities for $1 per year and the CHA would pay for all repairs, painting, and utilities. Henry Booth House became affiliated with the Hull House Association in 1962 and added the Hull House Underground Theatre to its list of services for community residents. The Henry Booth House later relocated to 2450 S. State Street and as an active participant in several federally funded programs sought to improve the education, health, and general living conditions of community residents on Chicago's Near South side.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents

The Henry Booth House Records include minutes, reports, correspondence, clippings, receipt books, surveys, questionnaires, brochures, social work files, research papers, photographs, negatives, and related materials from affiliated organizations such as the Hull House Association, Chicago Maternity Center, and Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago. The Henry Booth House Records also include some material in Bulgarian.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Richard J. Daley Library Special Collections and University Archives September 2004

801 S. Morgan Street
Chicago, Illinois, 60607
312.996.2742

Revision Description

  07/16/2010

Restrictions on Access

None

Restrictions on Use

None

Acquisition Information

The Henry Booth House donated some of its records to the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1970. The Hull House Association provided additional materials in 1973 and 1975.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • Henry Booth House. -- Archives

Subject(s)

  • Hull-House and Settlement House History.
  • Social settlements -- Illinois -- Chicago.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series I: Henry Booth House Records 

Box Folder

The Elizabeth McCormick Memorial Fund: The Story of Forty-five Years. Chicago, Il: 1954 (2 copies), annual report of the Chicago Community Trust, copy of the Orientator, Juanita Stafford. Flowers of Grasses. Chicago: 1898 (2 copies), printed programs, pamphlets, and clippings, 1898-1955 

1 1

Annual reports, 1917-1918 

1 2

Correspondence, clippings [In English and Bulgarian], 1928-1948 

1 3

Correspondence, clippings, World War II ration booklet, photographs, notes [In English and Bulgarian], 1940-1956 

1 4

Receipt book, 1945-1948 

1 5

Correspondence, minutes, program, 1946-1955 

1 6

Clippings, 1947 

1 7

By-laws, copy of property lease, correspondence, typed historical notes, 1948-1967 

1 8

Receipt book, 1949-1951 

1 9

Commemorative booklet in honor of A. Paul Holleb, 1949-1962 

2 10

Commemorative booklet in honor of A. Paul Holleb, 1949-1962 

2 11

Correspondence, reports, research data, personnel and administrative regulations, notes, 1949-1968 

2 12

Correspondence, printed programs, 1950-1965 

2 13

Brochures, pamphlets, printed programs, 1950-1968 

2 14

Receipt book, 1951 

2 15

Receipt book, 1951-1952 

2 16

Composition book with handwritten notes, 1952-1957 

2 17

Correspondence, memoranda, administrative materials, Day Camp activities list and related materials, 1952-1967 

2 18

Receipt book, 1953-1956 

3 19

Receipt book, 1954-1955 

3 20

Printed programs, correspondence, clippings, reports, administrative materials, memoranda, photographs, 1954-1957 

3 21

Clippings, photographs, printed programs, newsletters, correspondence, 1954-1957 

3 22

Receipt book, 1955 

3 23

Searchlights on Delinquency Cook County conference materials, correspondence, questionnaire, 1955 

3 24

Searchlights on Delinquency Cook County conference materials, 1955 

4 25

Receipt book, 1955-1956 

4 26

Receipt book, 1956-1957 

4 27

Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago - Reports, notes re. Henry Booth House, 1956-1960 

4 28

Reports, 1961-1965 

4 29

Brochures, flyers, memoranda, volunteer lists, notes, 1961-1967 

4 30

Hull House Association - Minutes, reports, memoranda, correspondence, and related materials, 1962-1967 

4 31

Memoranda, notes, flyers, 1963-1967 

4 32

Memorandum re. community organization by Mildred Berman, 1964 

4 33

Career Conference report, 1964 

4 34

Flyers, correspondence, 1964-1967 

4 35

Hostetter, John C., Community Survey of the Ickes Homes, Goshen College, May 1965 

4 36

Hull House Association - Reports, memoranda, policy statements, 1965-1966 

4 37

Hull House Association - Minutes, memoranda, reports, correspondence, 1966 

5 38

Flyers, correspondence, community organization materials, 1966-1967 

5 39

Correspondence, flyers, community organization materials, 1966-1967 

5 40

Correspondence, flyers, community organization materials, 1966-1967 

5 41

Correspondence, memoranda, minutes, notes, 1966-1968 

5 42

Minutes, memoranda, administrative materials, 1966-1969 

5 43

Memoranda, minutes, 1967 

5 44

By-laws, Women's Board of Henry Booth House, 1967 

5 45

Head Start Summer program materials, correspondence, 1967 

5 46

Correspondence, notes, 1967-1968 

5 47

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, 1970? 

5 48

Chicago Maternity Center forms, brochures, information for medical students, related materials, 1967-1968 

5 49

Flyers, n.d. 

5 50

Flyers, n.d. 

5 51

Decorated wood block, n.d. 

5 52

Large scrapbook, 1924-1965 

6 Oversize 53
Oversize

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp and one miscellaneous, n., n.d. 

Folder 54

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 55

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 56

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 57

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 58

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 59

Photographs - Bowen Summer Camp, n.d. 

Folder 60

Return to Table of Contents »