UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS AWARD
1. Nominators often will be the chair or head of the faculty member's unit; when this is not the case, it is requested that a nominator submit a copy of the nomination materials to the appropriate head or chair for endorsement.
2. Nominees need not come from the nominator's own unit.
3. Department heads and chairs are themselves eligible for nomination.
4. Past University Scholars are not eligible for the Award.
Format Guidelines for Nomination Materials
1. Nomination materials must include an up-to-date copy of the nominee's curriculum vitae and bibliography, and, most importantly, a detailed statement of justification from the nominator. Previous Review Panels have found clear, but detailed, statements of justification to be of significant value in their deliberations.
2. State clearly that this nomination is for the University Scholar Award.
3. Outside letters of appreciation or recommendation should not be included.
4. A nominator should make every effort to include complete information on the history of the nominee's research funding and external awards and prizes.
5. Nominators should keep in mind that nomination materials will be reviewed at the campus level by a panel of faculty from differing disciplines, i.e., non-specialists. For this reason, nominators are urged to include a description of what criteria are especially important for defining excellence and national eminence in the nominee's field of learning.
1. An original and eighteen (18) copies of each nomination should be submitted to the Office of Faculty Affairs (117 CMW, M/C 784) by Wednesday, February 2, 2005.
2. The College Committee on Faculty Awards will submit its recommendations to the Dean of the College of Medicine. All nominations receiving the endorsement of the Dean will move forward to the Office of the Provost.
3. This process is confidential. A nominator should not inform the individual of his or her nomination. University Scholar Award recipients will be notified by the President in late summer.
College Committee on Faculty Awards