Panfeng Fu , PhD
Research Assistant Professor
NADPH oxidase (NOX) family enzymes catalyze the reduction of oxygen to superoxide as primary product. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) they produce have been identified as important contributors to many signaling pathways. My research focus on the role and regulation of NOX proteins, specifically NOX4 and NOX2 (gp91phox), in hyperoxia- and sepsis-induced lung injury. Investigations include: 1) Determine role of NOX4 in ROS production and its expression in response to hyperoxia and bacterial insult. 2) Investigate molecular mechanisms of increased expression and activation of NOX4 in HPAECs; 3) Characterize signaling pathways that regulate NOX4- and NOX2-dependent endothelial cell migration and capillary tube formation via intracellular sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) generated by sphingosine kinases 1 and 2 and 4) Investigate the role of NOX2 and NOX4 in ROS generation and vascular leakiness in an in vivo murine model of lung injury using genetically modified NOX4 or NOX2 mice.
909 S. Wolcott Ave.
- Birukova AA, Fu P, Xing J, Cokic I, Birukov KG.Lung endothelial barrier protection by iloprost in the 2-hit models of ventilator-induced lung injury (VILI) involves inhibition of Rho signaling. Transl Res. 2010 Jan;155(1):44-54
- A.A.Birukova*, P. Fu*, J. Xing, K.G. Birukov. Rap1 mediates protective effects of illoprost against lung endothelial barrier dysfunction and vascular leak. J Appl Physiol. 2009 Dec;107(6):1900-10
- Singleton PA, Chatchavalvanich S, Fu P, Xing J, Birukova AA, Fortune JA, Klibanov AM, Garcia JG, Birukov KG. Akt-Mediated Transactivation of the S1P1 Receptor in Caveolin-Enriched Microdomains Regulates Endothelial Barrier Enhancement by Oxidized Phospholipids.Circ Res. 2009 Apr 24; 104(8):978-86.
- PANFENG FU, KONSTANTIN G. BIRUKOV. Oxidized phospholipids in control of inflammation and endothelial barrier. Translational Research. 2009 Apr;153(4):166-76.
- P. Fu, A.A. Birukova, J. Xing, S. Sammani, J.S. Murley, J.G.N. Garcia, D.J. Grdina, K.G. Birukov. Amifostine reduces lung vascular permeability via suppression of inflammatory signaling. Eur. Respir. J. 2009 Mar;33(3):612-24.
- Birukova AA, Fu P, Chatchavalvanich S, Burdette D, Oskolkova O, Bochkov VN, Birukov KG. Polar head groups are important for barrier-protective effects of oxidized phospholipids on pulmonary endothelium. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007 Apr;292(4):L924-35
- Panfeng Fu, Chunling Wang, Ruijuan Xiu Serum C-reactive protein and soluble angiopoietin receptor Tie-2 in patients with acute myocardial infarction and its detection by optical proteinchip. Clinical Hemorhology and Microcirculation 2006; 34(1-2):169-175
- Panfeng Fu, Cheng Junxia, Tian Yuxiang, Tonya Watkinx, Cui Xiuyun, Zhao Baochang. Antitumor effect of hematopoietic cells carring the ribonuclease inhibitor Cancer Gene Therapy, 2005, 12(3): 268-275