University of Illinois at Chicago
B. Scope and Mission Statement: University
UIC embraces its mission of teaching, research,
service and economic development through hundreds of academic programs,
community service initiatives, and research endeavors.
This statement is consistent with prior UIC mission statements and also commensurate with the overall mission of the University of Illinois, to transform lives and serve society by educating, creating knowledge, and putting knowledge to work on a large scale and with excellence. UIC provides the broadest access to the highest levels of intellectual excellence.
UIC’s mission is:
- To create knowledge that transforms our views of the world and, through sharing and application, transforms the world.
- To provide a wide range of students with the educational opportunity only a leading research university can offer.
- To address the challenges and opportunities facing not only Chicago but all Great Cities of the 21st century, as expressed by our Great Cities Commitment.
- To foster scholarship and practices that reflect and respond to the increasing diversity of the U.S. in a rapidly globalizing world.
- To train professionals in a wide range of public service disciplines, serving Illinois as the principal educator of health science professionals and as a major healthcare provider to underserved communities.
This mission statement will serve our intent to become and to be recognized as the nation’s premier urban public research university.
Updated: November 10, 2006, January 11,
2007, February 2, 2007, February 2008, February 2009, March 2011