Udall Student Information Guide
The Morris K. Udall Scholarship and Excellence in National Environmental Policy Foundation was authorized by the U.S. Congress in 1992 to honor Congressman Morris King Udall and his legacy of public service. The Udall Foundation awards approximately 80 scholarships of up to $5,000 (and 50 scholarships of $350 to honorable mention recipients) to undergraduate students who study the environment and related fields, and to Native American and Alaska Native undergraduate students in fields related to health care and tribal public policy.
Applicants must be sophomores or juniors studying the environment or related fields (or Native American or Alaskan Natives studying the areas of healthcare or tribal public policy). A minimum GPA of 3.0 is recommended. Students should also have a strong record of activism in their field and career goals related to the environment
UIC may only nominate 6 candidates for this award, and students may not apply directly. If there are more than 6 applicants, a selection committee will be formed to determine the UIC nominees.
For more detailed information on the award, eligibility, or to download an application, visit the Udall website at www.udall.gov.
If you want to apply for the Udall Scholarship:
1. Read and download
the application and instructions online
2. Verify that you meet all basic eligibility requirements
3. Begin researching the essay requirement for the award; become familiar with the life and legacy of Morris K. Udall
4. Contact at least 3 faculty members to write letters of recommendation for you
5. Visit the Office of Special Scholarship Programs to:
--a. Let us know that you would like to be a nominee
--b. Make an appointment with Beth Powers to review your draft application
6. Contact Records Office in Student Services Building (SSB) to request UIC transcript be sent to OSSP
7. Start working on your application early! The best applications are those that have been prepared with thoughtfulness and thoroughness
Important Dates for Udall Applicants:
Application Deadline: January 25, 2013
Final Application Deadline: March 1, 2013
For more information contact:
The Office of Special
The University of Illinois at Chicago
2506 University Hall, (312) 355-2477