Confidentiality of Student Records
Release of Information Pertaining to Students
Annually, UIC informs students of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. This Act, with which the University intends to comply fully, was designated to protect the privacy of students' educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. Students also have the right to file complaints with the Family Policy Compliance Office concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the Act.
University policy explains in detail the procedures to be used by the institution for compliance with the provisions of the Act. Copies of the policy are available in the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Admissions and Records.
Except as otherwise outlined in the policy, the Act prohibits access by nonuniversity personnel to information about individual students without the student's written authorization, except that which is considered public information. UIC hereby designates the following as public or "directory information." Such information may be disclosed by the University for any purpose, at its discretion.
- Student name(s).
- University Identification Number (UIN).
- University e-mail; and permanent city, state, and postal ZIP code.
- Class/Level (Graduate, Undergraduate, Professional, Nondegree/Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior).
- College and major field of study/Concentration/Minor.
- Day and month of birth.
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports.
- Weight and height if the student is an athletic team member.
- Dates of admission/attendance.
- Attendance site (campus, location).
- Expected graduation date.
- Degrees conferred, with dates.
- Current term hours enrolled and enrollment status (full-time, part-time, not enrolled, withdrawn and date of withdrawal).
- Awards, honors and achievements (including distinguished academic performance), with dates.
- Eligibility for membership in honoraries.
- For Students appointed as fellows, assistants, graduate, or undergraduate hourly employees, the title, appointing department, appointment date, duties and percent time of appointment.
- Video and photographic images of students taken by the University during public events with the exception of the official UIC identification photograph.
To Examine Your Records, you must submit a written request to the appropriate record-keeping office. The appropriate office will comply with your request within a reasonable amount of time, not to exceed 45 days after receipt of your request.
To Prevent Release of Directory Information, you must submit a request form to the Office of the Registrar no later than the tenth day of the semester (fifth day of summer session). Such requests for nondisclosure will be honored as long as you are continuously enrolled or unless you revoke the request in writing.
Additional Information about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, may be obtained in the college offices, the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Admissions and Records.