Home » Students » Resources » Career Exploration Center
Career Exploration Center
Our Exploration Center, located in 3050 SSB, houses a wealth of career resources in print, video, and cd-rom for use by UIC students. We also have seven computer workstations to use for career information and job-searching.
Our extensive resource library contains more than 500 books, pamphlets, and videos to help you in your career development and job search process.
Major topic areas include:
- Career preparation and the job search (writing resumes, cover letters, interviewing)
- Career exploration (what do to with a major in _____, Careers in _____)
- Career etiquette
- Graduate School information• Test preparation (GRE, GMAT, etc.)
- Company information (annual reports, local/worldwide directories, company videos)
- Diversity (best companies for minorities, job searching for students with disabilities)
- Relocation information
A sample of new books includes:
- 200 Best Jobs for College Graduates
- 50 Best Jobs for Your Personality
- Opportunities in Event Planning
- Opportunities in Allied Health
- Careers for Self-Starters & Other Entrepreneurial Types
- Preparing for the Behavior-Based Interview
- Top Careers for Liberal Arts Graduates
- Vault Guide to Pharmaceuticals and Biotech Employers
- Vault Guide to Conquering Corporate America for Women and Minorities
- 10 Things Employers Want You to Learn in College
JOB, INTERNSHIP, and VOLUNTEER LISTINGS
We receive a variety of job listings each week from numerous sources. These are available in our Exploration Center (organized by career area) and online at UICCareers.com. We also subscribe to several regional/national job bulletins which we receive weekly, including:
- Environmental Career Opportunities: Weekly bulletin with over 500 jobs in environmental policy, communications & advocacy, conservation, science/engineering, and education in non-profits, corporations, and the government in locations around the country.
- International Career Employment Weekly: Hundreds of jobs around the world for both Bachelor's and Master's graduates in a wide range of majors. Categories of jobs include International Development & Assistance; International Understanding, Education, Communication, Exchange; Foreign Policy; Governance; Intelligence; Environmental Positions; Health Care; Commerce; Engineering & Computer System Support; Program Administration & Foreign Language Support; and Internships.
We have seven computers for use to UIC students for their career exploration and job searching. Our knowledgeable staff can direct you to websites that:
- help you identify and clarify your interest, values, and skills
- help you research companies
- help you explore career options
FREE MAGAZINES AND RESOURCE GUIDES
Career Services has free guides for distribution. Please come in and pick one up! Below is an example of some of the free career related publications available. Not all items will be available at all times.
- Black Collegian
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- College News
- Corporate Jobs Outlook
- Graduate School Guide
- Graduating Engineer and Computer Careers
- Hispanic Engineer
- Job Choices-Specialty editions include Diversity, and Business
- Job Search Handbook for Educators
- Job Postings
- Workforce Diversity for Engineering and IT Professionals
For more information, or to take a look at our many career resources, stop by the Exploration Center in SSB 3050 today!
[ Back to Top ]