Maxwell Street Station: New Home of the UIC Police
Up and down the alleys around Halsted, Polk, and Maxwell Streets, they say over their fish carts that Maxwell Station has "swell cops" but "rotten cells." — Chicago Daily Tribune, 1924
Chicago police moved out of the Maxwell Street station in December 1998 to make way for the new headquarters of the UIC Police. Renovation, which began in spring 1999, will create a state-of-the-art campus police facility, while maintaining many of the station’s historic features.
The building’s original windows were sent to a company in Kankakee for restoration, the masonry cleaned and repaired, the roof replaced, and parapets at the top of the station rebuilt using custom-made bricks, the exact texture and color of the originals.
With the exterior renovation complete, work on the interior began. With the exception of the lobby — one of the station’s historical features — the interior was gutted and modernized to accommodate new technology, including a new communications center created for the campus force. The UIC Police intend to relocate to Maxwell Street station from their present location, 1140 South Morgan Street, in 2001.
The Maxwell Street police station renovation is part of the South Campus project, which includes new academic facilities and housing for students and the community, as well as retail shops and a performing arts center