UIC has offered Safe Zone ally development workshops since 2002.
Safe Zone is based in a consultation and interactive workshop model that provides expertise in guiding units, departments and organizations as you increase awareness of LGBTQ issues and concerns and implement holistic and inclusive polices and practices.
Please contact Symone Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-413-8619 for more information.
ALL UIC students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to attend this University-sanctioned workshop. Release time is generally granted according to the Attendance at University Events policy. For more information, please contact University Human Resources.
Safe Zone 101 Objectives
Participants in Safe Zone 101 workshops have reported changes in the following areas:
• Increased knowledge of vocabulary, concepts, and terms related to sexual orientation and gender identity;
• Increased knowledge of policies and laws related to LGBTQ issues;
• Increased confidence for making appropriate referrals as needed;
• Increased awareness of the negative impact of homophobia and heterosexism on all people;
• Increased comfort in acting as an ally on behalf of LGBTQ people.