Before You Leave


All students going abroad must attend the UIC Study Abroad Office Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation. In this session, students will learn about health and safety issues, administrative details that must be completed prior to departure, and other important information.

View the Pre-departure Orientation PDF

Note: a signin with your NetID is required to view this document.

Saturday, April 12th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm in Lecture Center F1


Wednesday, April 16th from 3:00 pm-5:00 pm in BSB 250

To RSVP for ONE of the sessions, email or call 312-413-7662 with your selected date of attendance.

Students must attend this MANDATORY meeting in order to be registered to study abroad.


LAS 299/ ISA 299/ BA 299/ GC 491

Do not register yourself at UIC! If you are already registered for UIC courses for the term you are supposed to be abroad, you must withdraw from the term as soon as possible. The Study Abroad Office cannot register you for LAS 299, ISA 299, BA 299, or GC 491 (the study abroad course numbers) until you’ve dropped all on campus courses and until you’ve withdrawn from the term completely. The Study Abroad Office will register all students as a full time student (12 hours for a semester) as long as your course approval form indicates approval for full time status. Students receiving the MAP grant should contact Krystal Williams at regarding the number of credit hours you will be taking. If you were approved for less than full time status, you will be registered for the number of hours approved.


Do not register yourself! Do not register yourself for the Honors Activity under the course title HONORS 222. The Study Abroad Office will work with the Honors College to make sure that you are properly enrolled for that course. Registration for HON 222 takes place once the term has started.


If you have any outstanding holds on your UIC account, make sure to clear them ASAP. The Study Abroad Office will not be able to register you your term abroad until your holds have been removed and your hold status remains clear. If you are not registered by the UIC Study Abroad Office, you cannot study abroad.


You are responsible for registering for the UIC courses you will take upon your return. The study abroad office cannot help you register for your return semester. You can register on-line through my.uic portal. The Student Access System can be found at: The time table is also available online. Because you will be registering for your return semester before you actually do return, please be sure you have completed all the necessary academic advising and credit checks before departure so that you (or your home contact) may register for the classes you will need towards graduation.


Your Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) / College Dean and/or LAS Advisor, Shannon Ellis, will be the final authority on how your credit/grades will be transferred from the foreign university's transcript to your UIC transcript. For this reason, you must have your courses approved before you go overseas on the course pre-approval form. You should seek academic advising in both your major department and your college before going abroad. Any course work you hope to take for your major or minor requirements must be authorized by the DUS in the appropriate department. If there are any additions to be made to your course approval form before your departure, please ask your Study Abroad advisor for an additional course approval form. The sheet must be submitted to the Study Abroad office prior to departure.


If you plan on receiving financial aid or any kind of loan, it is your responsibility to make the necessary arrangements prior to your departure.
Be sure that you have completed any necessary paperwork, such as:

  • Filing FAFSA for the appropriate academic year in which you will be abroad
  • For summer study abroad, you also need to fill out a separate summer application

In order to receive Financial Aid, you must fill out and return to Theresa Ibarra the Study Abroad Agreement Form. Without this form, your Financial Aid application will be considered incomplete!
Upon receipt of your financial aid award letter (where applicable):

  • Completing debt management
  • Signing promissory notes
  • Making sure that you have no outstanding balance
  • Study Abroad Contact sheet
  • Change of Financial Situation form, if you are employed
  • Sign up for Direct Deposit. Students can apply online at You will not receive your Financial Aid promptly without direct deposit.

You may never receive your financial aid if you have not clarified all of the above. Because financial aid applications sometimes require several months to process, it is to your advantage to begin as early as possible. For any financial aid questions which arise while you are overseas, please contact Hua Kao, Study Abroad Financial Aid Advisor, at



For the safety of its students, the University of Illinois requires that all students participating in study abroad programs have international study abroad insurance coverage.

You will receive an email and also a hard copy in your orientation packet that will give you the instructions needed to enroll for insurance directly through CISI. Once you enrolled with CISI online, they will provide you with a confirmation email, insurance card, claim form, and policy. If you do not enroll for the adequate amount of coverage, we will not register you for the term you plan to study abroad.

CISI does not cover students in their country of residence. If you will be traveling to or studying in your country of residence, contact the Study Abroad Office for a supplemental insurance policy.

To be exempted from purchasing University of Illinois CISI insurance, you must have had your personal insurance company or companies complete and sign the Petition for Exemption from University of Illinois CISI Insurance, stating that your international coverage is comparable to that of CISI. This form must be submitted to the Study Abroad Office three weeks prior to the first Pre-departure Orientation. No exemption will be allowed without a completed and signed Petition. To download the exemption form, please visit Forms tab.

The UIC Study Abroad Office strongly recommends that you extend your insurance coverage during any stay prior to the beginning of or after the end of your program. You may purchase insurance from CISI or another company. If you choose CISI for additional coverage, the University of Illinois has arranged to allow you to purchase an additional month of coverage at $31/month for students under age 25, $50/month for ages 26-30, and $76/month ages 31-40. However, this is a separate policy, and you must contact CISI directly to arrange for the purchase of this extended coverage. More information is available at Click on “enroll online” to extend your coverage.


All registered students are automatically enrolled in Campus Care while studying abroad at UIC. Students who have previously opted out of Campus Care will not be charged.

International Health Insurance does not replace Campus Care or other domestic policies

For questions or clarification contact Campus Care at 312-996-0019


The host institution of your Study Abroad program may notify you if any specific immunizations are required or recommended for the country where you will be studying. Students are also encouraged to contact the UIC Travel Clinic at (312) 996-7420 for a country-specific travel consultation appointment (see brochure in your orientation folder).
In addition, all students should check with their own physician to learn of any shots that may be recommended or required for them. Other resources include: The U.S. State Department's Overseas Citizens Emergency Center at (202) 647-5225 on weekdays for information on current health conditions worldwide, the World Health Organization in Washington, DC., or The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, (404/639-3311,


You must have a valid passport in order to travel abroad.  Passports take up to three months to be processed from the time your completed application is received. Passport application forms and information on how to apply are available on-line. Go to to find the closest passport application office.

You will need official passport photos for the application. These can be obtained at most Kinko’s copy stores, Walgreens and from the Photo ID office in SSB. Extra photos are required for visas and other ID cards. It is recommended that you get at least 6 copies.


A visa is required to stay for a period of over 3 months in most countries.  Check with your program sponsor for more information about the kind of visa you will need. Keep in mind that you need a valid passport before you can apply for a visa. Some visa processes can take up to several weeks.  Some consulate offices require a face to face interview.  Be sure to confirm with your program sponsor the timeline for your specific visa application.

Note: When applying for your visa by mail, make sure to send your materials (including your passport) by registered mail, e.g.  FedEx or UPS envelope with a tracking number.  Include a self-addressed, pre-paid registered envelop for its return to you.  .If you have not received your passport and all necessary visas at least 15 working days before your departure, contact program provider immediately.


We strongly recommend that you register your trip abroad with the US Department of State using their Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Travel registration is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming time abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. Please visit the following website to register:


The UIC Study Abroad Office CAN assist you before your departure if you have questions about Study Abroad courses, financial aid, registration, billing, or anything important regarding your Study Abroad program. However, once you are abroad, please contact the appropriate parties and copy your Study Abroad Advisor on any email correspondence.

We CANNOT pay bills, encumbrances, or tuition for you. Please pay all your bills before you go. Also, if the Office of Admissions and Records does not have your permanent address, please contact them at 312-996-4350 before you leave.

We CANNOT register you for your return term or mail course catalogues or timetables abroad. You can access the timetable and register for your classes on line at

We CANNOT do your debt management or academic advising. Make sure you have completed all the necessary paperwork so that for your return, you may register for the classes you’ll need towards graduation.

We CANNOT change your major while you are abroad.

We CANNOT accept collect phone calls from overseas, but we CAN answer your letters, faxes and e-mail! Any correspondence relevant to your college or financial aid status must be addressed directly to the appropriate office. Make sure you take the numbers with you! However, in an emergency you may contact us by calling our cell phone emergency number at (312) 636-4150.

Facebook Twitter Youtube