International Education Week Calendar
November 11-15, 2013
International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of the efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the United States.
- International Expo, Photo Contest, and Coffee Hour Sponsored by the Office of International Services and the Study Abroad Office
The International Expo will highlight some of the countries represented by our UIC international student population and international exchange programs. Student presentations will include clothing, songs, dance, and much, much more! Winners of the 5th Annual OIS Photo Contest will also be announced.
4:30-6:30pm Thompson Room C / Student Center West
- International Education Week Keynote Address Chancellor's Lecture Series, "Technology in Education" by Sam Pitroda, Adviser to the Prime Minister of India on Public Information Infrastructure and Innovation, and Chairman of the National Innovation Council for the Government of India.
3-5pm. Illinois Room, Student Center East
- Zona Abierta: “From the Mines to the Streets”
Join the Latino Cultural Center and the Study Abroad Office for an interactive presentation with author and activist Felix Muruchi who will talk about Bolivia's current process of change, indigenous rights, and his book: "From the Mines to the Streets: A Bolivian Activist's Life."
3.30-5:00pm. Latino Cultural Center / LC B2
- Mongolia: Geopolitics and the Environment. A webinar discussion with Ulzii Sanjaasuren, academic director of this unique study abroad program based in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. For students interested in international studies, political science, anthropology, or environmental studies, Mongolia offers a backdrop for considering historical and contemporary government and corporate policy decisions. 10-10:30am. 502 / UH
- “How to Market Your International Experience”. A Study Abroad Office and Career Services workshop.
Please rsvp your attendance at this link:
1-2pm. 502 / UH
- Spanish Language and Culture or Business and International Relations Study abroad at the University of Deusto, Bilbao, Spain
Presentation by Spanish Department faculty
3-4pm. 1501 / UH
- Tavola Italiana. "Closed Communities" A presentation by Italian writer and scholar Roni Kubati.
2-3:30pm. 308 / Grant Hall Language Oasis
- The Study Abroad Office presents: “The Dialogue”, a 70-minute documentary film that follows four American and four Chinese university students as they travel together through Hong Kong and Southwest China. A facilitated discussion led by faculty, the Study Abroad Office, and the Office of International Services staff will follow the film. 4-6pm. JST Theater
- Office of International Services, Conversation Cafe. 1-3pm. Grant Hall Language Oasis/ 308
- Study Abroad in Israel Presentation by Emily Greenblatt, Admissions Counselor
Office of Academic Affairs
Rothberg International School, Hebrew University, Jerusalem
2-3pm 502 / UH
- The Study Abroad Office presents: "Crossing Borders" a 70-minute documentary film that follows four Moroccan and four American university students as they travel together through Morocco and, in the process of discovering ‘the other’ discover themselves. A facilitated discussion led by faculty, and the Study Abroad Office, and the Office of International Services staff will follow the film. 4-6pm. JST Theater
- Cross Currents of American and Japanese Culture Karen Su and Laura Fugikawa will talk about the UIC faculty led study abroad program they will be leading in Japan in Summer 2014
12-1pm 502 / UH
- Trivia Night Sponsored by the Office of International Services
5:00-7:00pm. Thompson Room C / Student Center West
- For ongoing activities sponsored by the Language and Culture Learning Center including foreign films and language conversation clubs go to http://lclc.uic.edu/lclc-events/