UIC Student Employment Office
Home » Students » University Employment » Graduate Assistantships
Graduate Assistantships are not handled through the Student Employment Office. Graduate Assistantships may be found in a variety of places and there is no centralized location for posting GA positions. As you search for GA positions we recommend you try the following resources in addition to working with the people you already know to find out about openings.
- UICcareers.com - This is our main job posting site and we encourage all employers including campus department to post jobs at UICcareers.com. If you have never used UICcareers.com, please call 312-996-2300 and ask them to check whether you have an active account or to create an account for you.
- UIC HR - Human resources lists graduate positions on their website. You may search for the openings by going to http://jobs.uic.edu. Then click on job search at the top of the page. Next select Graduate Assistant and Graduate Hourly in the category box and click search.
- UIC Events/Announce - Within the UIC events calendar is a "position available" section. That is another good resource to search for openings. Go to http://events.uic.edu, scroll down to the classified section, and click on position available.
- Graduate Student Listserv - You may use the Graduate College listserve to get announcement about openings. To join the listserve send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and in the body of the message type: subscribe gradlist first_name last_name (replacing your name for "first_name last_name").
- Your major department and others - Many offices on campus run smoothly because of the wonderful work that Graduate Assistants do. Begin with your home department and then branch out to other departments that may be able to use your skills. Also consider talking to the department that houses the major from your undergraduate degree.
- University committees - Many university committees also utilize Graduate Assistants to get their business done. Try contacting the committee chairs to ask if they may be hiring for the upcoming year. Many of the committees select their Graduate Assistant prior to the end of the year. So try reaching out to committee chairs in May or June, prior to the academic year in which you want a Graduate Assistant position. Click here for links to the Chancellor Committees.
[ Back to Top ]
Copyright © 2011 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois