Tutorium in Intensive English

Intensive English Program

Special Summer Language and Culture Program

English for International Professionals Series

Preparation Course

Faculty and Curriculum

About Us

About UIC

About Chicago

Directions to the Tutorium

cea uciep

Chicago, Communication and Culture
Frequently Asked Questions

How many students are in each level?
The maximum number in each group is 15 students. The average size is 12.

Do I need to be able to speak English to enroll in Chicago, Communication and Culture?
Yes. If you have never studied English before, you will not benefit from this program. You need to be able to speak and understand English at an intermediate level.

Can I enter the U.S with a tourist visa for the program?
Yes. This program meets for only 12 classroom hours per week. This does not meet the minimum number of hours for full-time study (18 hours per week). The program is open to people who

  • are visitors to the US and hold a B-1 or B-2 (tourist) visa,
  • have entered the United States on a visa waiver,
  • have an F-1 visa and who wish to enrich their summer break with additional study, or
  • are US citizens or residents.

Do I have to stay in the residence hall  at UIC to participate in the program?
No. You can stay with family or friends. There are also many hotels, hostels, and extended stay residences available. You need to make arrangements on your own for these accommodations. There is more information on other accommodations below.

What are the residence hall rooms like?
Participants stay in a co-ed building across the street from our main office. Residents occupy 4-bedroom, 4 person apartments. All students have individual private bedrooms, and apartments are equipped with full kitchens and private bathrooms. The quad units are assigned based on gender; males with males and females with females. There are extensive common areas on all floors, as well as a Faculty in Residence and a Resident Director on the 4th floor. The basic fee for the dormitory rooms is $300 per week. There is an extra fee for linen service($15 per week). If you want to cook in your rooms, for $70 per month, you can use kitchenware (pots, pans, plates, silverware, coffeemaker &toaster) and weekly linen service. If you prefer to buy or bring your own linen, there are washing machines and dryers in the building.


Can I get a private room and bath?
Yes you can, but NOT in the UIC housing facilities.

There are two youth hostels that offer private rooms and a bath. The rate is higher per day than the UIC dormitories. You will need to make the arrangements on your own.

Arlington House- International Hostel offers private rooms with a private bath. Arlington House is located in Lincoln Park, a very beautiful and safe neighborhood located north of downtown Chicago. Lincoln Park is about a 30-minute commute on public transportation. For more information, visit their website. The website is in several languages. You can make reservations online. http://www.arlingtonhouse.com/index.html

Chicago International Hostel is another hostel that offers private rooms. However, it is located on the far northside of the city. Commuting to UIC for classes may take an hour on public transportation. For more information, go to http://www.hostelworld.com/availability.php/ChicagoInternationalHostel-Chicago-2188 .

You can also rent a studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartment for one month at Canterbury Courts. This apartment building is located the ‘Gold Coast’ neighborhood in downtown Chicago. It is within walking distance to museums, shopping and the Oak Street Beach on Lake Michigan. Apartments range from $800 - $1,750 per month. However, payment must be made by check on a bank with a U.S. affiliate branch. For more information about this option, go to http://canterburycourtapartments.com.

Is there phone service available in the dorm?
No. For short-term visits, we recommend that you bring your own cell phone or purchase a pre-paid cell phone ($15 - $150)

Are there good restaurants close to UIC Housing?
Yes. There are many really good restaurants with a great variety of food located near UIC housing. There is a coffee shop in the building and restaurants offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner across from Marie Robinson Hall.

Can I eat my meals in the student cafeteria?
Yes. You can purchase a meal card and put as much money on the card as you need. It works like a pre-paid debit card.

Is there a grocery or department store near the dormitory?
Yes, There is a very large grocery store a 15-minute walk from the dorms. There is also a large department store within walking distance to buy cosmetics, household items, clothing, etc.


Are there computers available to check my email?
Yes. You can use the internet and email service in our computer lab on campus.

Will I need to pay for my transportation during the 3-week program?
Yes. After you arrive, you will need to purchase a weekly transportation card that allows unlimited travel on the Chicago Transit system (CTA). The CTA provides bus and train service within the City of Chicago. For more information about the CTA, go to http://www.transitchicago.com/ .

Do you provide airport pickup?
No. There is public transportation from both Chicago airports, Midway Airport and O’Hare International Airport. You can take an airport shuttle bus. Buses leave every hour ($25). Cab service is also available at both airports ($35 - $60). The fare depends on your destination.



Contact Us Cool ESL Sites FAQs Calendar and Fees IEP Application Events TIE Home Page UIC UIC