Summer Academic Learning Community
SALC Registration process
- Register at summercollege.oaa.uic.edu
- Submit SALC Application
The Summer Academic Learning Community (SALC) Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) is a collaboration between the TRIO/Academic Support Program (TRIO/ASP) and the African-American Academic Network (AAAN). The program is designed to help participants adjust to the university community and is the first step in what can be one of the most rewarding journeys in your life. This opportunity to participate in a summer experience will assist you in developing the academic, leadership, critical thinking, and coping skills needed to transition from high school to college with success.
Since 1984 the TRIO/ASP, in conjunction with AAAN and other UIC offices, has prepared more than 1,300 freshman students for success at UIC. It is specially designed to address the needs of students who could benefit from a summer precollege experience that helps to build a bond between them and the university community.
Priority for acceptance into the 5-week program will be given to students from low-income and first-generation college students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
The SALC includes:
- Skill building workshops in mathematics
- Academic Survival and Freshman Experience Skill Building Workshops
- An orientation to college culture, policies, procedures, and identification of sources for help
- Academic advising and tutorial services
- Career guidance and counseling services
- All supplies
- Cultural experiences and other special activities
- Individualized attention that is a key part of the program and a major factor contributing to its success
- Workshops that are small in size
- An opportunity to work closely with university instructors and advisor's who are sensitive to their needs.
SALC does not offer academic credit. However, successful students who take part in the outstanding college-level skill building workshops or retest can potentially advance to a higher-level course in mathematics prior to the fall semester.
Early application is encouraged since enrollment is limited. There is no registration fee for participation in SALC
Monday, June 23 - Friday, July 25. Classes are held Monday -Thursday from
In order to participate in the 2014 Summer Academic Learning Community, you must:
Be admitted to UIC
Plan to enroll for the fall semester
Commit to the entire 5-week program.
For any clarifications Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: (312) 996-5046
FAX: (312) 996-9298
Joseph Fields, Associate Director, African American Academic Network
Todd Byrd, Assistant Director, TRIO/ASP
Student at a SALC workshop
[ Top ]