UIC Liautaud Graduate School of Business
110 Douglas Hall, MC 077
705 South Morgan Street
Chicago, IL 60607
Campus Location: Room 220, Rice Building
Program Code: 20FS1657MA
Main Phone: (312) 996-4573 or (877) 622-8421 (toll free)
Web Site: go.uic.edu/mre
Graduate Program Head/Chair: Mark Shanley
Director of Graduate Studies: Thomas Bothen
The Master of Arts in Real Estate program at the University of Illinois at Chicago Liautaud Graduate School of Business combines economics, finance, and urban planning to provide students with a full perspective of the field of real estate. The program takes advantage of UIC’s location by emphasizing urban real estate markets and by using metropolitan Chicago as a working laboratory. The program is intended for professionals working in either the private or public sectors that are concerned with real estate and real estate development issues. Students will learn the basic principles of economics, finance, urban planning, urban land use law, and sustainability issues that are needed to gain fundamental knowledge of the operation of urban real estate markets, methods of real estate finance, and systems used to plan and regulate urban real estate development. The purpose of the program is to turn students into educated professionals in the field of urban real estate.
All applications are considered on an individual basis. Transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field No restrictions.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GMAT. The score must be from a test that was administered within five years of the requested date of entry. The writing assessment is required.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 585 (paper-based); 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores.
- Letters of Recommendation Two required.
- Personal Statement Required.
The MA in Real Estate is offered by the College of Business Administration in collaboration with the College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs. Students in the program can choose a concentration in either Business or Urban Planning. Students can pursue the degree on either a full-time or part-time basis.
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 36.
- Course Work Degree candidates must present a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.00/4.00 for all course work, including background (foundation) courses.
- Required Courses (28 hours): ECON 520, ECON 571, ECON/FIN 472, FIN 500, UPP 501, UPP 553, MBA 590.
- Areas of Concentration (8 hours): Students must declare either a Business or Urban Planning concentration.
- Business Concentration (2 courses from the following)—ECON 475, 534, 572, 575; FIN 510.
- Urban Planning Concentration (2 courses from the following)—UPP 508, 530, 533, 542, 557.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project or Course-Work-Only Options Course work only. No other options are available.