Department of Civil and Materials Engineering (MC 246)
842 West Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7023
Campus Location: 2067 ERF
Program Codes: 20FS0106MS (MS); 20FS0106PHD (PhD)
Telephone: (312) 996-3411
Head of the Department: Farhad Ansari
Director of Graduate Studies: Ernesto Indacochea
The Department of Civil and Materials Engineering (CME) offers programs leading to the Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Civil Engineering. Study and research leading to a degree in Civil Engineering is available in the areas of geotechnical and geoenvironmental engineering, environmental engineering, water resources engineering, structural engineering, structural mechanics, structural health monitoring, sensors and nondestructive testing, earthquake engineering, concrete materials, reinforced and prestressed concrete, steel structures, and transportation engineering.
The department also offers programs leading to degrees in Materials Engineering at both the master’s and doctoral levels. Updated information about the faculty, staff, curriculum and courses is found on the CME home page at the following address http://www.uic.edu/depts/cme/cme.html.
Applicants are considered on an individual basis. Complete transcripts for all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field Civil engineering or a related field.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate study.
- Tests Required GRE General, minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 301 (tests taken August 2011 or after) or minimum combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 1100 (tests taken prior to August 2011).
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 550 (paper-based); 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores.
- Letters of Recommendation Three required for PhD applicants.
- Personal Statement Required for PhD applicants.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 36.
- Course Work At least 24 semester hours must be in courses chosen from major courses listed on the department Web page. At least 12 hours must be at the 500-level, and at least 8 hours must be in 500-level courses in the department, excluding CME 596.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Thesis or course work only. No other options are available.
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 108 from the baccalaureate.
- Course Work Required Courses: Minimum requirement of 56 hours of postbaccalaureate course work, excluding CME 599.
- Specific Course Requirements: At least 28 hours must be at the 500-level, of which 16 hours must be in the department, excluding CME 596 and 599.
- Credit for MS Degree: Those having an MS degree from an accredited institution may be awarded 32 hours of credit towards the PhD degree requirement with 12 hours towards the 28-hour 500-level requirement.
- Examinations Departmental Qualifying Exam: Required.
- Preliminary Examination: Required.
- Dissertation Required. Students must earn at least 52 hours in CME 599.
- Other Requirements Students must be registered during the semester of intended graduation.