Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MC 251)
842 West Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7022
Campus Location: 2041 ERF
Program Code: 20FS5085MEE
Telephone: (312) 996-6122
Web Site: http://www.uic.edu/eng/energyengineering/
Head of the Department: Farzad Mashayek
Director of Graduate Studies: Michael J. Scott
The demand for Energy Engineers continues to grow as global concerns for energy supply and efficient energy systems intensifies. The energy industry from power production to storage to delivery is covered in this master's program. Whether you are concerned with power generation, HVAC design, management of engineering projects, energy efficiency or other energy issues, upon graduation you will have knowledge that can be immediately applied on the job. When you increase your technical expertise with a Master of Energy Engineering you will expand your career opportunities.
Transcripts of all undergraduate and any graduate work must be submitted. In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Degree and Field A baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in an engineering discipline, mathematics, computer science, or a natural science, such as physics or chemistry, from an accredited college or university will be required, except in special cases. Generally qualified candidates may be required by the department to remove specific course-work deficiencies by completing selected undergraduate courses prior to matriculation or graduation. In most cases the prerequisites for admission to the degree program would be satisfied by one course in thermodynamics and one in heat transfer, and these are prerequisites for several of the required courses in the degree.
- Grade Point Average At least 3.00/4.00 for the final 60 semester (90 quarter) hours of undergraduate study and any postbaccalaureate course work.
- Tests Required GRE General for all applicants with degrees from outside the U.S.
- Minimum English Competency Test Score
- TOEFL 550 (paper-based); 80, with subscores of Reading 19, Listening 17, Speaking 20, and Writing 21 (iBT Internet-based), OR,
- IELTS 6.5, with subscores of 6.0 for all four subscores.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, students must meet the following program requirements:
- Minimum Semester Hours Required 32 hours of course work. No thesis is required.
- Course Work Required Courses: ENER 420, 422, 424, 429, 451, 501, 552, and 553.
- Students must get the approval of the director of graduate studies to take online courses.
- Any substitute courses to the above required courses must be approved first by the student’s advisor and then by the director of graduate studies.
- Comprehensive Examination None.
- Thesis, Project, or Course-Work-Only Options Course work only.