Fifteen faculty and staff members were honored for their outstanding work with the 2009 UIC-INSPIRE and Luminary awards.
The winners were recognized at a June 23 breakfast.
The awards are sponsored by the U of I Alumni Association, the UIC Alumni Relations Council and the Office of the Chancellor.
Marie Tejero Hughes, associate professor of special education, received the UIC Luminary Award for longterm exceptional commitment to the UIC community.
Other UIC-INSPIRE winners are:
• Tracy Bartholomew, academic programs, Nursing
• Elizabeth Bunte, faculty affairs human resources
• Eileen Doran, student affairs, Applied Health Sciences
• Nancy Gebhardt, Jewish studies
• Susan Goldman, psychology, curriculum and instruction
• Doris Graber, political science
• Ramaswamy Kalyanasundarum, biomedical science at Rockford
• Maria Lang, Biologic Resources Laboratory
• Elena Lathos, computer science
• Deborah Matthews, Student Centers Operations
• Diana Meister, cancer biology and pharmacology at Peoria
• Sarah Rutter, English
• Gyorgy Turan, mathematics, statistics and computer science
• Luis Vargas, Office of Research Services
The INSPIRE and Luminary honors are part of the WOW Award Program.