Chancellor's Message Summer 2013 Update
Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,
While the summer months may seem a bit quieter on campus, many noteworthy events and partnerships are underway that exemplify the broad spectrum of teaching, learning and research at UIC.
Here are a few significant events and announcements I'd like to share with everyone as I strive to keep our profile high and convey to everyone the excellence of UIC. Please note the upcoming events, as well as the links to recent positive press coverage.
New Facilities and Development Activities
- JUMP Trade Simulation and Education Center Dedication
- On April 25, I welcomed local dignitaries and leadership to the opening of Jump Trading Simulation & Education Center, a collaboration between OSF HealthCare and the College of Medicine at Peoria. Jump is a virtual hospital that combines actual medical equipment and the latest simulation technology for better education, performance training and research with the goal of improving health outcomes and lowering health care costs.
- M. Christine Schwartz Experiential Learning Laboratory, Lobby and Seminar Rooms
- A naming ceremony was held June 13 to celebrate the opening of the M. Christine Schwartz Experiential Learning Laboratory, the M. Christine Schwartz Lobby, and the M. Christine Schwartz Research Seminar Rooms at the College of Nursing. A $2.2 million gift from M. Christine Schwartz and the T & C Schwartz Family Foundation provided for the construction, design and renovation of facilities to improve the physical environment of the College of Nursing, built in 1969.
- Rick and Loan Hill Gift Agreement
- Engineering graduate Rick Hill and his wife, Loan, committed $6.5 million to the College of Engineering, adding to their previous commitments of $1.5 million, for the naming of the Department of Bioengineering. (Pending Board of Trustees approval)
Internal Meetings and Events
- Civic and Community Leadership Breakfasts
- Latino and African American civic and community leaders visited campus for two breakfast meetings, held December 3 and May 31, with President Easter and me to discuss enrollment and other issues pertinent to the communities served by UIC.
- Civil Service Employee Forum
- On June 20, I participated in a civil service employee forum sponsored by the Staff Advisory Council. Robert Crouch, assistant vice president for human resources; Tom Morelock, executive director, State Universities Civil Service System; Lee Bridges, retirement counselor, State Universities Retirement System; Jeff Houch, SURS legislative liaison; and Verna Chatman, university payroll and benefits, answered questions regarding retirement, the classification process, seniority and bumping.
- Chancellor's Innovation Fund Launch
- The Chancellor's Innovation Fund (CIF), launched in partnership with IllinoisVENTURES, will provide $10 million to move technologies devised by faculty, students or staff from research to commercial use. The fund will award grants totaling $2 million a year for five years. About half the funding is expected to finance proof-of-concept grants for projects just emerging from basic research. The other half will provide equity funding for start-ups that are closer to commercialization. The CIF was featured in the Chicago Tribune and Crain's Chicago Business and supported by the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce.
- Obama Presidential Library Bid
- A task force has been convened to develop a proposal for the Obama Presidential Library and Museum to be established at UIC. The proposal will identify key points that demonstrate how UIC's mission and achievements are in alignment with President Obama's legacy and personal values. UIC's bid was mentioned in a recent article in USA Today.
- Coalition of Urban Serving Universities Summer Meeting
- UIC hosted the Coalition of Urban Serving Universities summer meeting June 17 and 18. Leaders from urban universities across the nation gathered to discuss issues, challenges, and opportunities unique to these institutions. Deputy Mayor Steve Koch provided the welcome address on behalf of Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
- Richard J. Daley Archive Opening
- A private opening of the Richard J. Daley Collection will take place July 24 with members of the Board of Trustees, the Daley family and dignitaries. Documents and artifacts from Richard J. Daley's six terms as Mayor of Chicago will be available to researchers and the public beginning July 25. The collection documents Daley's life and career through 7,000 photographs, personal artifacts and memorabilia that portray both everyday and historic events, his relationships with political figures and celebrities, and the dynamic and changing City of Chicago. The Daley Archive Opening was featured in the Chicago Tribune.
- IBHE Meeting
- The Illinois Board of Higher Education board meeting and meeting of Presidents and Chancellors will be held on campus October 1.
- Israel Education Outreach Visit
- Key administration officials at several of Israel's leading universities will visit UIC in October through a partnership coordinated by the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago. The meetings will establish collegial relations with counterparts in the Israeli higher educational system and advance study abroad possibilities for students, faculty exchanges, joint research projects, and other mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Ertharin Cousin Keynote
- UIC alumna Ertharin Cousin, executive director, United Nations World Food Programme, will give a keynote address. This event is in partnership with the Humanities Institute and is part of the Chancellor's Initiative in the Humanities, Food Studies at UIC: Local and Global Issues. The Chancellor's Initiative in the Humanities is a two-year program (2012-2014) intended to highlight the creative and cutting-edge scholarship in the humanities at UIC. This event will be held October 11 from 2:00 to 3:00 P.M. in Student Center East Room 302.
- Sam Pitroda Keynote
- Sam Pitroda, engineer, former advisor to the Prime Minister of India, humanitarian and recipient of an honorary UIC degree (Doctor of Humane Letters), will deliver a keynote address as part of the Chancellor's Lecture and Event Series on the topic of Technology in Education for the International Education Week reception. This event is in collaboration with the Office of International Affairs and the UIC Global Excellence Task Force. This event will be held November 12 from 3:00 to 5:00 P.M. in SCE Illinois Room.
- IOM Regional Meeting
- UIC will host the Institute of Medicine's regional meeting February 20, 2014.
My best wishes for the remaining weeks of your summer.
John Corbally Presidential Professor
Having problems accessing this site? Contact Webmaster
© 2014 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois