Discovery Fund Awards
Chancellor Allen-Meares and Vice Chancellor for Research Garcia are pleased to announce the second round of grants awarded through the Chancellor's Discovery Fund for Multidisciplinary Pilot Research. This program supports new multidisciplinary collaborations led by emerging researchers at UIC.
The goal is to foster academic inquiry that draws upon the expertise of varied disciplines, to nurture the research career trajectories of promising early-stage investigators, and to help awardees leverage extramural funding. Forty-seven applications were reviewed by the Campus Research Board.
The following faculty teams are recipients of the spring competition awards:
- Project: "Participation through Innovation: Social entrepreneurship as a pathway to employment for people with disabilities"
- PIs: Sarah Parker, Assistant Professor, Disability and Human Development; Maija Renko, Assistant Professor, Managerial Studies.
- Project: "Numerical and experimental study of collagen cross-linking treatment for keratoconus"
- PIs: Craig Foster, Assistant Professor, Civil & Materials Engineering; Sandeep Jain, Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Project: "Colloidal Synthesis of zinc phosphide and tantalum oxynitride nanocrystals for solar energy generation"
- PIs: Preston Snee, Assistant Professor, Chemistry; Randall Meyer, Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering; Robert Klie, Assistant Professor, Physics
- Project: "miRNAs as determinants of breast cancer response to endocrine therapy"
- PIs: Jonna Frasor, Assistant Professor, Physiology & Biophysics; Yang Dai, Associate Professor, Bioengineering; Elizabeth Wiley, Director of Surgical Pathology, Pathology
- Project: "Mechanisms of cognitive impairment in sleep apnea syndrome: feasibility studies in a novel animal model"
- PIs: Irina Topchiy, Research Assistant Professor, Medicine; Michael Ragozzino, Associate Professor, Psychology; Miodrag Radulovacki, Professor, Pharmacology; David Carley, Professor, Biobehavioral and Health Sciences
Questions should be referred to Research Development Services at RDS@uic.edu, attention: Mr. Tony Halford
Office of the Chancellor, 601 South Morgan Street, MC 102, Chicago, IL 60607
Having problems accessing this site? Contact Webmaster
© 2014 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois