- Familial risk and protective factors related to emotional and behavioral problems among culturally diverse, underserved youth
- The role of fathers and co-parenting in the prevention of youth aggression, depression and suicide
- The development of prevention interventions with this population
- Voices 'n Visions Study (PI): A pilot study exploring the parenting experiences of African American fathers of pre-adolescent male youth at risk for aggression and depression.
- Impact of Adolescent Suicide Attempters on Parents Study (IMPACT; Dr. David B. Goldston, PI; MH081947): An NIH funded, longitudinal, mixed-method, multi-site study (IMPACT) investigating the impact of youth suicide attempts on mothers.
- Diversity Supplement (Co-PI): A supplemental pilot study exploring racial and ethnic differences in mothers' reactions to youth suicide attempts.
- Fathers' Administrative Supplement (Co-PI): A supplemental pilot study exploring fathers' reactions to youth suicide attempts.
- Social Work Practice
- Over five years of combined clinical (i.e., individual, group and family therapy), school social work, and administrative experience with high risk youth and their families.
Selected Recent Publications
Doyle, O., Pecukonis, E.V., Lindsey, M. (In Press). Correlates and consequences of father nurturance in an African American college sample. Journal of Family Issues.
Goldston, D., Weller, B., & Doyle, O., (In Press). Suicide. In G. Nagayama-Hall, L. Comas-Diaz, V. McLloyd & J. Trimble (eds). APA Handbook of Multicultural Psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association Press.
Doyle, O ., Joe, S., Caldwell, C. (2012). Ethnic differences in mental illness and mental health service use among Black fathers. American Journal of Public Health.
Doyle, O ., Pecukonis E. V., & Harrington, D. (2011).The Nurturant Fathering Scale: A confirmatory analysis with an African American sample of college students. Research on Social Work Practice (21) 3, 319-327.
Esposito-Smythers, C., Miller, A., Weismoore, J., Doyle, O., & Goldston, D . (2011). Suicide. In R. Brown & M. Prinstein (eds.), Encyclopedia of Adolescence , New York: Elsevier.
Doyle, O . Z., Miller, S. E., & Mirza, F. Y. (2009). Ethical decision-making in social work: Exploring personal and professional values. Journal of Social Work Values and Ethics ( 6) 1.
Pecukonis, E. V., Doyle, O ., & Bliss, D. (2008). Reducing barriers to interprofessional training: Promoting interprofessional cultural competence. Journal of Interprofessional Care (22) 4, 417-428.
Affiliations, Associations & Consultations
Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network (ESIN)
Scholars' Network on Black Masculinity
Society for Social Work Research (SSWR)
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
Phi Kappa Phi, Chapter 22, University of Maryland, Baltimore
Reviewer, International Journal of Men's Health
Reviewer, Suicide and Life Threatening Behaviors
Ad Hoc Reviewer, American Journal of Public Health
Reviewer, Society for Social Work Research Annual Conference
Reviewer, Journal for the Society of Social Work Research