- HIV medical self-care and ART (antiretroviral therapy) adherence among African Americans
- Stigma related to HIV medical care
- Health provider cultural competence
- Health beliefs that impact HIV medical treatment adherence among African Americans
- Social Work Practice
- Research Methods
- Thirteen year's social work practice experience
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker since 2000
- Assistant Director of Social Work, John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County; Chicago, IL.
- Medical Social Worker IV, John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County
- Medical Social Worker III, John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook county
- Psychiatric Social Worker, Cook County Department of Corrections, Cermak Health Services
- Counseling Administrator and Therapist, Blue Gargoyle Youth Service Center; Chicago, IL.
Alleyne, B. & Gaston, G. (2010). Gender disparity and hiv risk among young black women in college: A literature review. Affilia, 25(2), 135-145.
Gaston, G. & Alleyne-Green, B. (2012). The Impact of African Americans' Beliefs about HIV Medical Care on Treatment Adherence: A Systematic Review and Recommendations for Interventions. AIDS and Behavior. doi: 10.1007/s10461-012-0323-x.
Gaston. G. (In press) African Americans' Perceptions of HIV Health Care Provider Cultural Competence That Promote Medical Self-Care and Adherence. AIDS Care.Manuscripts Under Review/Revision:
Alleyne, B., Coleman-Cowger, V., & Gaston, G. (Under Review). Unhealthy Weight Control Habits and Sexual Risk Behavior Among A Sample of Adolescent Females With A History of Dating Violence. Manuscript submitted to the Journal of Adolescent & Family Health.
Gaston, G. & Gutierrez, S. (Under Review). Retaining African Americans in HIV Treatment: A Systematic Review and Implications for Social Work Practice. Manuscript submitted to Health and Social Work.Manuscripts in Preparation:
Gaston, G. The Impact of Health Care Provider Cultural Competence on the Health Outcomes of African Americans Living with HIV: Implications for Practice and Health Policy. In preparation for submission to AIDS and Behavior.
Gaston, G. & Earl, T. Haitian and African Americans Perceptions of Mental Health Care: A Systematic Review. In preparation for submission to the American Journal of Public Health.
Gaston, G. Retention Challenges among Patients Disengaged from HIV Care. In preparation for submission to AIDS Prevention and Education.Book Chapters:
Shepard-Payne, J. & Gaston, G. (In preparation). The Intersection of Spirituality/Religiosity and HIV/STI Prevention with College Students. Understanding HIV and STI Prevention for College Students (working title). Editors Leo Wilton, Robert T. Palmer, Dina C. Maramba; Binghamton University.
Affiliations, Associations, & Consultations
- Council on Social Work Education
- National Association of Social Workers
- Society for Social Work and Research
- AIDS and Behavior
- AIDS Care