- Kinship Care
- Child and Family Welfare
- Permanency Planning
- Strengthening Coparenting for Mothers Detained for Substance Abuse Related Crimes and the Relatives Caring for their Children (with Patricia O"Brien, Faith Johnson Bonecutter, and Creasie Finney Hairston).
- Individual and Social Protective Factors for Children in Informal Kinship Care, funded by the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children, Youth, and Families, conducted with Grand Boulevard Federation, and co-investigator Chang-ming Hsieh, PhD (9/30/01-9/29/04).
- Jane Addams Child Welfare Training Project, National Child Welfare Workforce Institute, five-year training and curriculum development in partnership with Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, Jane Addams Hull-house Association, ChildServ, the Illinois African American Family Commission, and the Child Care Association of Illinois (Alan Dettlaff, PI, James P. Gleeson, Co-PI, Faith Johnson Bonecutter, Co-PI, Barbara Coats, Co-PI).
- Cook North Region Permanency Enhancement Project: Technical Assistance and Evaluation, funded by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (with Alan Dettlaff, Co-PI).
- Kinship Care (an online course)
- Child and Family Policy
- Child and Family Research
- Ph.D. Dissertation Proseminar
Ten years direct practice experience with children and families; 6 years administrative experience as director of staff development and research and deputy director of programs; more than 22 years experience as a researcher and consultant on child and family issues with a variety of community and government agencies.
Selected Recent Publications
Gleeson, J. P. & Seryak, C. (in press). "I made some mistakes, but I love them dearly" The views of parents of children in informal kinship care. Child & Family Social Work, Accepted May 22, 2009.
Gleeson, J.P., Wesley, J., Ellis, R., Seryak, C., Talley, G.W., & Robinson, J (2009). Becoming involved in raising a relative's child: reasons, caregiver motivations and pathways to informal kinship care," Child & Family Social Work, published online January 2009, print version forthcoming.
Phillips, S. D., Gleeson, J. P., & Waites-Garrett, M. (2009). Substance-abusing parents in the criminal justice system: Does substance abuse treatment improve their children's outcomes? Journal of Offender Rehabilitation, 48, 120-138.
Gleeson, J. P. (2007). Kinship care: Research and literature-lessons learned and directions for future research." Kinship Reporter, 1 (2), 1, 8-11.
Phillips, S. & Gleeson, J. P. (2007). What we know now that we didn't know then about the criminal justice system's involvement in families with whom child welfare agencies have contact. Research brief -- Children, Families and the Criminal Justice System, Center for Social Policy and Research, Jane Addams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago.
Affiliations, Associations & Consultations
- Lead Evaluator, Family and Children's AIDS Network, Family Options III.
- Member, Child Welfare League of America, Research to Practice (R2P) Advisory Committee
- Member, National Committee of Grandparents for Children's Rights
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Public Child Welfare
- Member, Family Matters Advisory Committee
- Member, Child Welfare League of America National Kinship Care Advisory Committee
- Member, Editorial Board, Child Welfare