- Mental health service quality for underrepresented populations
- Diagnostic competence of mental health service providers
- Minority health and mental health disparity
- Provision of counseling by clergy and other informal counseling agents
- Quality of diagnostic provision for depressed African American men
- Principal Investigator: "Clergy Depressive Counseling Survey"
- Principal Investigator: "Misdiagnosis Hypotheses: Assessing Licensed Clinicians' Ability To Detect Unipolar Depression as Manifested in African American Male Culturally-Specific Symptomatology"
- Program Manager: "Coping Among Ethnic Men Sexually Abused As Children"
- Co-collaborator: Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network Asian American Research Workgroup
- Social Work Mental Health Practice
- Social Work Micro Practice
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker since 1998
- Clinical Director and/or Clinical Supervisor of several County-contracted mental health centers, Los Angeles CA
- Supervising Psychiatric Social Worker, Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health
- Psychiatric Social Worker II, Los Angeles County Public Defender's Office
- Children's Services Worker II, Los Angeles County Department of Child and Family Services
- Ordained Minister and Mental Health Consultant, Pentecostal Assemblies of the World
Kang, S.Y., Howard, D., Kim, J., Payne, J.S., Wilton, L., Kim, W., & Maramba, D. (2010). English language proficiency and life time mental health service utilization in a national representative probability sample of Asian Americans. Journal of Public Health, 32(3), 431-439.
Payne, J.S. (2009). Variations in pastors' perceptions of the etiology of depression by race and religious affiliation: findings from the clergy depressive counseling survey. Community Mental Health Journal, 45(5), 355-365.
Payne, J.S. (2008). "Saints Don't Cry": Exploring the characterization of depression As expressed by African-American Pentecostal preachers. Journal of African American Studies, 12(3), 215-228.Articles in Progress:
Payne, J.S., Galvan, F.H., Prusinski, M., Williams, J.K., Zhang, M., Wyatt, G., & Myers, H. (under review). Three Ethnicities Compared: A Content Analysis of the Present-Day Psychosocial Impact of Childhood Sexual Abuse on the Lives of Adult Men.
Payne, J.S., Kang, S.Y., Howard, D., Wilton, L., Maramba, D.,& Kim, W. (in progress). The impact of religious affiliation on mental health service utilization in a national representative probability sample of African Americans.
Payne, J.S. (in progress). Pastors' theological and secular educational training and its impact on their views about effective intervention practices for depressed individuals.
Payne, J.S. & Kirk, S.A. (in progress). Assessing the Effect of Race and Symptom Expression on Clinician's Diagnosis of Depression in Black Men.
Affiliations, Associations, & Consultations
- Association of Black Social Workers
- Association of Black Women in Higher Education
- Council on Social Work Education
- Emerging Scholars Interdisciplinary Network
- National Association of Social Workers
- Society for Social Work Research